Sunday, July 09, 2006

Words of Wisdom should be cherished.

Every here and there I read a really good kids book just to free my mind from the usual grownup litany, and the latest on the shelf is Kate DiCamillo's, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

Without giving away any of the plot, here are a few lines that tugged at me:

"Open your heart," she said gently. "Someone will come. Someone will come for you. But first you must open your heart."

The door closed. The sunlight disappeared.

Someone will come.

Love is heartbreak. Life is heartbreak.

Why should this make any difference to me, any difference at all, if there wasn't a grain of truth to it? That somehow I could learn, that we could all learn, to open our hearts and invite love back in?

If only it wasn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

2 comments:

Lance Morrison said...

FInally people are listening! Madonna has been singing about this for over 2 decades!!

'Open Your Heart' and 'Frozen' are just two examples.

Between you and her, I think this message could be spread cross the planet. I"ll call her now.

Anonymous said...

Wise words, but easier said than done...