Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dear Paint Manufacturers,

Could you do us all a favour and oh, make your colours a little more realistic? Better yet, could you please tell me that of all the whites on earth and the six paintbooks I own, why isn't there a white by the name of Milk?

I love milk. It is one of the most popular whites I know. I find it very hard to believe that there are whites called Mayonnaise, Bleach Bone and Natashquah - just what is a Natashquah? - and yet there is no white called Milk. While I hesitate to paint my walls Mayonnaise, favourite condiment of sandwiches everywhere, I would dearly love to pair the Cappucino colour with some milky white stripes. If I put real life milk in my cappucino, why can't I pair them on my walls?

Furthermore, if you don't have plain Milk, you could at least have Steamed Milk, or Froth. As you can see I've read a few directories, but my Cappucino remains untopped.

I must congratulate you on Van Deusen Blue, though. Imagine my pleasant surprise in finding that it is a perfect complement for my bathroom. I sincerely look forward to having my commode walls named after a constipated Austrian baron.

Incorrigibly yours,

Yet Another Interior Design Buff
(amateur)

6 comments:

Lance Morrison said...

Well, here's the thing you seem to be forgetting....

If there is a shade called "Cappuccino", then there MUST be a shade called "Steamed Milk" because you need steamed milk to make cappuccino... and froth too! And I know I've seen "Espresso" so "Steamed Milk" must be there.

Ooooooh. If you do find "Steamed Milk", also check for "Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup". Mix together for a lovely shade of "Vanilla Steamer"... but do get a medium gloss finish.... nothing too matte.

Also

Lance Morrison said...

Also: Natashquan is a small reserve in Eastern Quebec. Located on the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the reserve is situated 336 kilometres east of Sept-Ïles and covers a surface area of 20.63 hectares. The territory of the reserve is surrounded by that of the Municipality of Natashquan and has been accessible by Route 138 since 1996.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

If there is a shade called Steamed Milk, it has been overlooked by Benjamin Moore, Para, Restoration Hardware, Ralph Lauren AND Farrow & Ball.

I too have seen Espresso, but if I paint my walls that colour I'll be a jittery mess all the time.

As for Natashquan, I don't know if I should believe you or look around for the lurking candid camera. I looked it up on Wikipedia before writing that post but then, didn't google it. I should have googled, dammit.

g string addict said...

FG, just saw this program on TV, apparently, you can go and mix your own paint at a really huge paint store, so if you ask them for Milk, they can probably mix some for you

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Thanks for the tip B, I'd forgotten about that option. I have yet to match the Cappucino swatch against milk, and that got me thinking... 1%, 2% or homogenized? The drama!

Tom said...

OHMYGOD! you should totally invent Milkshake White. It could be vanilla flavored. And your milkshake would bring all the boys to the yard. Damn right.