Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It’s that time again. Inventory.

Ugh.

I dread it. Wouldn’t you? Standing butt naked in front of a full length mirror, shitpicking yourself up and down, for better or for worse? It’s enough to send a girl straight to Godiva for the triple XL truffle box, then to the couch for a gorge session to Babycakes.

No, it’s definitely not the most enjoyable thing in the world to do. How sucky is it then, that inventory still remains, and will always be ever-so-necessary for goal making, goal meeting, and overall best-itude in general?

But then that’s just my opinion.

As many of you recall, I did inventory almost one year ago. A sobering experience, it was. What I’ve come to realize is that inventory can’t just happen once; I think it’s more of a monthly thing. How else will I keep track?

Inventory also dictates that once I’ve completed said shitpicking, eating better will be in order. Organic, greens, vitamins and an overall caloric drop.

If I’m going to be eating that well, I have therefore also decided to go out in style. No better way to do that then with a trip to Raj and James’ place.

Chef James isn’t just a chef, he’s a bon vivant, a master, an aficionado with food. We’re talking about a guy who goes about town on his days off, notebook in hand, collecting inspirations and recipe ideas from the atmosphere around him.

When you get an invitation to this house for dinner, you don’t turn it down. You accept, bring wine, and show up hungry, tastes buds sharpened and ready to go.

I wasn’t disappointed. Starters alone were caramelized dates stuffed with chorizo sausage, miniature mozzarella smoked turkey quesadillas with spicy salsa dipping sauce, and Shiraz.

The main course was rabbit. I have qualms about eating Bugs or the Easter Bunny, but then being professionally trained, James knows exactly what to do with everything, and how to make it spectacular. And, spectacular tasting. He served leg of rabbit, bone sticking up and paired with three grilled parsnips, also sticking up, stuck into creamed barley risotto with grape tomatoes and wild mushrooms, topped with a green herbed mousse. All served on hot round plates atop square chargers, ice water and Chardonnay.

As if that wasn’t enough, dessert was panna cotta decorated with a frangelico-dipped ladyfinger, homemade chocolate ice cream, caramelized bananas and a dark chocolate square.

That’s what I call going out in style.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything sound absolutely amazing...except for the bunny. :(

Airam said...

Sounds so yummy!

The Tormented Girl said...

aaaaggghhgghhhghhhhhhh <-- sound of me drowning in my own drool. YUM!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Bunny or no bunny, James is one seriously talented person, and that was some good grub. He even made me a fan of bunny. Hopalongs of the world, beware?

Eve said...

That sounds delicious! What kind of panna cotta was it? Had a bit of a salivating situation there...

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Hi eve, thanks for visiting! It was plain panna cotta, vanilla flavoured I suppose; it was all that great stuff on top that was the extra delicious part. Lordy, that boy is talented.