Thursday, February 22, 2007

100% Real Juice: Hanging Up

Hanging Up was filmed several years ago and stars Diane Keaton, Meg Ryan, and Lisa Kudrow. It’s about the relationship three sisters have with their father and each other, and focuses on a rather turbulent time in their lives.

I didn’t like it. Your classic case of good acting, bad writing; a bland movie at best, with characters and a storyline not quite fully developed enough to impact the audience in any real way.

However, there was one unforgettable part, and here it is.

(Just for some background, Eve plans parties, Maddy is an actress, and Georgia works at Vogue. At this point in the film, Eve and Maddy are on the phone).

***

Maddy: No wonder they’re firing her if she’s running articles like that.

Eve: They’re firing her? What are you saying?

Maddy: Carlo knows this fashion photographer, and he said ad revenue is way down.

Eve: Who’s Carlo?

Maddy: Someone who happens to be important to me. Anyway, he said she’s history.

Eve: That is terrible. I really feel bad for her.

Maddy: No, me too.

Eve: Georgia. Fired.

Maddy: She’ll be devastated.

Eve: Does she know?

Maddy: I don’t know. Should we tell her?

Eve: I don’t know, Is that bad, coming from us?

Maddy: I’m not telling her. You should tell her.

Eve: Why do I have to do everything? I’m not going to do that!

(There’s a beep on Eve’s line; she’s got another call)

Eve: This is like, the umpteenth call this week. Hi, Dad.

Georgia: Eve?

(Eve going back to Maddy)

Eve: It’s her!

(She goes back to the call with Georgia)

Eve: How are you?

Georgia: I have some news.

(Eve jumps back to Maddy again)

Eve: I think it happened.

Maddy: They fired her?

(Back to Georgia)

Georgia: Are you sitting down?

Eve: Oh, God!

Georgia: Guess what? I’m starting my own magazine!

(Back to Maddy)

Maddy: What?

Eve: oh, my God!

Maddy: She was fired!

Eve: How is this possible?

(Back to Georgia)

Georgia: And guess what I’m calling it. Georgia.

Eve: Really.

(Back to Maddy)

Maddy: Didn’t I tell you?

Eve: So, she was fired.

Maddy: Well, probably.

Eve: Let’s just be happy for her. We didn’t really want her out on the street or anything.

Maddy: Did we?

Eve: She’s going to be more famous than ever.

***

Sure enough, she is.

What is the moral of this story? Woman has top notch job, woman gets fired from job, woman doesn’t miss a beat and goes to start a better, more amazing job. One she created for herself.

Let this day be full of luck, ideas, and amazing opportunities. Ones we have created for ourselves.

4 comments:

Airam said...

I'll drink to that!

Mood Indigo said...

"Something's coming, I don't know, what it is, but it is, gonna be grand" - I sense the wheels of change starting to turn for you in the best of ways!

Lance Morrison said...

I liked the movie, from what I remembered. Walter Matthau's last film. I actually watched it the day he died, without knowing it. After the movie was over I found out. Irony.

MI: That is one of my Favorite 'Sing-a-long' songs. Such a great song to sing when walking down the street or on the treadmill. "Could it be? Yes it could. Somethings coming, Something good."

With Love, Fat Girl said...

The wheels of change, the wheels of change... sure hope so, but then, I feel something too :)