Monday, June 19, 2006

My bridesmaid's dress has been chosen. My Maid of Honour, Ms. Maid to the Bride dress has been selected and, as I type this, is being sewn.

Oli was flipping through a bridal magazine and saw a stunning, simply cut Pronovias gown, and literally gasped. She held it up and said, "This would be perfect for you. " I saw it, and did my own gasp. Decision made. We based a design on the magnificence of the picture (definitely less lacy), and sent it off to Kathi, designer & seamstress.

This gown is gorgeous. It is stunning. It is a creation like no other. I am completely in love with this dress. I have a slight problem, though.

I am not in love with me in it. If the wedding were tomorrow, I would look like a sausage encased in silver silk.

My weight has not gone down at all since I've come home. In fact. it has gone up a couple of pounds. I'm not surprised, not with that food fest they put us through in Jordan, but I wouldn't change it, either. If they enjoyed taking care of us that way, so be it.

And besides, it could have been a lot worse. It is absolutely nothing to lose two pounds. It's a lot more to lose lots of pounds, which is what I have to do for this dress.

What's the matter with me? I've had opportunity and opportunity, time and again, and yet I do nothing. I don't know if it's the habit, or the laziness, or maybe I just don't want it badly enough.

The model wearing the dress on the website and magazine ads is a stick. She has no hips, no waist, no boobs, toothpick arms, a small head and plenty of hair. She is a human clothes hanger. She completely fits the attitude of this otherwise gorgeous gown that just screams, don't come at me, bitch, until you're a size four.

I don't know if I've made a grand mistake, or set myself up for a challenge I can conquer.

Looking at the calendar, if I really put my mind to it, I can do what it takes to work out, lose some weight and make a healthy life change for myself by the end of September. I could look good in this dress at a size eight. I would look great in a size six. I would be magnificent at a size four.

But then, is this the way I should be looking at things?

Our society is fucked. Half the time you are told, this is your lot and you are done with it. Happiness is self-acceptance. The other half tells you, fight! You can do absolutely anything you set your mind to! Win!

What does this say? That I made a gigantic mistake, and should have another design drawn up for me, something that will flatter *this* body more, before it's too late? Or that I can do anything I set my mind to, and be slim and devastatingly sexy enough by September 23rd to wear this incredible gown with confidence and a smile?

Accept? Fight? Which is the path to happiness?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl...i would get a dress that looks amazing on you now and when (not if) you lose weight you can get it altered and it will still look great on you. :)

g string addict said...

I say fight - give it ur best shot!

I know you can do it, and so do you.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

I am in awe of my support system.

Thank you :)

And anonymous, reveal yourself at long last, because I don't know if it's been you all along, or many of you at the same time!!

The Tormented Girl said...

My tip to you is to start weighing yourself in kilos... you won't feel so bad. there's something like 2.2 pounds to a kilo so when you put on 1 pound it's only .45 of a kg! sweeet! ;}