Thursday, June 22, 2006

Around this time every year, I make a checklist of my life and see what's gotten better or worse in the past 365 days or so. I do this to be unnecessarily hard on myself. I also do this because in a few days, it'll be my birthday.

Birthdays for kids are fun. They are cake, presents and parties. Birthdays for adults, or, birthdays for me, have become more of a pressure-fest. I still totally dig the cake, parties, presents and nowadays, restaurant outings, sangria showers and overall good times, but my birthday has morphed into something else. It is that yearly milestone day for me to have achieved or failed certain goals, or just to be at an overall great place in life.

For example, my 21st birthday was pure suckage. I was fat, really fat, didn't have a boyfriend & wanted one, and didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I was depressed all the time, I cried all the time, and was confined to factory work for the summer.

My 26th birthday was absolutely awesome. I'd just graduated with my second degree, was skinny, gorgeous, and had a boyfriend who adored me. I'd just gotten back from an amazing L.A. trip with him, was about to go to Chicago with him and, in two months time, would be moving to Prague for my internship.

Can't get much better than that.

Last year, for my 30th birthday, I was in a rocky relationship, lived in my parent's basement, and hated my job. Getting out of bed every morning was work, pure work, because there was nothing to look forward to.

Thus, to make things easier, I had only one request of myself: 30 would be the year that I let all my issues go. Not necessarily work through them, understand them or ponder them any longer, just let... them... go.

In four days, it will be my 31st birthday. I have no relationship, live in my parent's basement, and hate my job. I haven't even come close to shedding the poundage I've wanted to, have come nowhere near finishing that freaking cookbook, my loft is bare, and my desk is a mess.

Poopy.

There is more, though. Not too long ago, I got back from the trip of a lifetime. My sister is getting married. I have the greatest dog in the whole world and, every morning when I get out of bed, things seem a little lighter.

Not to say I've found my way. I probably won't even have done that when I'm pushing up daisies, but for now, for some silly reason, it's all... good.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the birthdays - I always "disappear" around the time mine occurs. Either a trip somewhere, or no one can reach me. Sounds like you're in a better place about them than I am.

The Big Cheese said...

Yep, your life fucking sucks....But thanks for making me feel better about mine!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Common girl, anytime, sorry it took so long!

Anonymous, it's not so bad. Just another day, right?

Cheese, my life doesn't suck, not one bit. Again, how long's it been since you've gotten laid?

The Big Cheese said...

Are we counting bible days time or calendar years?

With Love, Fat Girl said...

The fact you said "years" says it all right there. Whose life sucks now? Whose yo' daddy?

The Big Cheese said...

To be honest I haven't been able to make sweet love to a woman since my last died...of cancer, or herpies or ingrown hairs or something. None the less the thought of pleasuring a woman to the brink of death by orgasim, is just to much and too soon. Plus, i am a fat hair beast of man the sweats alot. Maybe more the the last part then the first part...

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Last I heard, Jerry Springer was looking for people *just like you* for their live sex fetishes show. See, you can now be appreciated and have your sweet love too.

The Big Cheese said...

Now, my dear, you have cut me. And I too bleed, I bleed like a man bleeding.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Be careful where you bleed, darling, this room only has the finest Persian rugs. If you're going to bleed, bleed on the red one.

The Tormented Girl said...

Oh I know what you mean - I didn't tell anyone that it was my birthday on my 31st [last year] I was just over it for the first time as I like birthdays to be special, a big deal. Mine is looming again... not quite sure how I feel this year. We'll see!

thanks heaps for the linkage, I've added you too. Tis an honour :]