Monday, April 09, 2007

“Think. The big fucking picture.”

-- James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano on The Sopranos

A gritty HBO mob drama is the last place you’d expect to hear pearls of wisdom, but Tony, or at least the writers of The Sopranos have a point here. If there’s anything I’ve been trying to beat through my head over the past year and some change, it’s that the big picture is the most important thing, at least far more important than just a tiny clip of it. The film is always more important than a single scene, just like the apple tree is more important than one apple.

My life is more important than just a day. You get it.

Now, I’ve been discussing my life with myself (who better to talk it over with, right?), and we’ve decided that this Monday morning is a good time to start. I know, I know, when one starts to turn the wheels of change that should always happen as a “now” and not a “tomorrow,” but I just like the idea of morning beginnings. It makes things feel more fresh.

So in light of this and on the subject of days, I get a last one. One Last Day, that is.

All fatties know the Last Day very well, it’s the day before the day of your “big change” where you excitedly allow yourself to eat absolutely anything you want, sky’s the limit. Why? ‘Cause come midnight, it’s all strict. You do what you want and in plenty of excess, because tomorrow is all about change.

I’ve had many last days, and even though I’m sure they were great at the time, they couldn’t have been that memorable because for the life of me, I can’t remember anything I ever ate.

But still, since my life is going to be one nice big change starting tomorrow, today I’m going hog wild! That’s right baby, it’s all about the cakes and the ice cream and the sumptuous world of fats! Oink oink!

Pause.

No, I’m not going to do that.

I’ve gone wrong far too many times on this road called Dieting, and the above is one shining example.

So we’re going to try something a little different this time. Wise choices is what it’s all about, and that’s got to be my new motto. No starving, no denial, no cutting everything out so the threat of pigging out looms just around the corner. You know how it works, you say no to chocolate forever and within the week you’ve got Nutella smeared all over your face.

Doesn’t matter that you’ve never eaten that much chocolate before in your entire life; the minute you said “No” to it all was the minute you wanted the stuff more than ever before.

If I’m going to cut out, it’s got to the for the most part, and not forever. Like coffee. With the exception fo extreme emergencies I just have to say, goodbye my darling; I’ll never forget our happy days. At least the weather is getting warmer, so my cravings for you are down to a minimum.

If it’s a bad thing but I really want it, and I’ve been good, then I can have it. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Argh. I don’t like slow and steady, I want to sprint around the track and call myself a winner. But I really think that in the long run, the slower route is the more guaranteed win. It worked for the tortoise.

So we’re going to start with some rules, minor ones, just so I can break myself into the system., but nothing so intense that’ll be too nuts to follow.

So, over this following week I will:

Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
Drink at least one cup of green tea per day
Not eat after 7pm, and
Eat whole foods only. As in, the good stuff.

I will also rule one thing out: sugar. With the exception of coffee. For emergencies, that is. See? No extreme denial.

I won’t be having a last day, but in honour of all this hoopla I am going to have a last fun something. Not something overly fun either, if you get my drift, but lately I’ve been craving my comfort food of old and so tonight I made a bowl if it: Balkan yogurt covered with crushed walnuts, and drizzled in honey.

Then again, why should that be a last anything? Yoghurt, nuts and honey are whole foods and therefore, plenty good for me. Maybe not for everyday, but good nonetheless.

Oh and, Wednesday morning I have to be at work by 8am. Predicting a coffee emergency.

Cheers.

7 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Why do you have to give up coffee? That part I don't understand - at my skinniest weight I was still able to enjoy a cup of Americano w/Splenda & Skim (Starbucks) quite regularly without it costing me physically.

Sugar is my biggest culprit, followed closely by oil-cooked products.

But I agree. Moderate, whole-life changes will surely beat out endless cycles of last days and restarting and failure and last days and restarting, non?

Anonymous said...

"...within the week you’ve got Nutella smeared all over your face."

HAHAHA! Oh I can't tell you how many times I've actually done this. Although, I would never say no to chocolate forever. That part just cracked me up.

You're giving up sugar? For real? Although some people find sugar detox very cathartic, two weeks in to South Beach, I was reduced to a whithered, shaking, broken-down sugar-addict who was searching for her next fix. I pledged to never again return to a sugar-free lifestyle. Ever.

Best of luck sweetheart!

Airam said...

You might be interested in this. I just signed up for it yesterday ... it's free (God I love the sound of that).

www.sparkpeople.com

Give it a try!!! I think you'll like it!

The Big Cheese said...

Seman. Is good for you. Unless you are related to it.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Mrs. L, I have to give up coffee for the most part because I have sugar in it. I don't believe in artificial sweeteners anymore after reading a bunch of studies that stressed how bad they are for you. I'd like to try a "whole" approach at foods now, again, for the most part. Sometimes you just gotta have ketchup chips!

Saucy... not proud. So not proud. Thanks for the well wishes :)

Airam, I will check that out later today, that's a promise.

Cheese, you're back! Where've you been, man?

Foofa said...

Sparkpeople is awesome! It has done well by me. My biggest problem is the not eating after 7pm thing. I CANT do it. I don't get home until six and if I am ready to eat by seven it's a shocker. Any advice on how to do that one would be great.

Anonymous said...

I think we had a coffee emergency today. Not sure how that happened, but we did..... and why don't you do raw sugar - say cane or organic or something like that. Not that I really know anything, but isn't that supposed to be better for you? O.K. Gotta go now. Bye.