Tuesday, April 17, 2007



I took this picture from last week’s selection on www.postsecret.com. The rules state that when you borrow from the site you’re supposed to link directly back to it, alas, I’m not good at those things whatsoever. I’m hoping the mention and address will suffice.

This postcard struck me right away. I caught myself reading it over and over, because I know exactly what she means. I thought being thin was THE answer.

At the time, I very much thought it was. It’s an easy notion to get wrapped up in, when you’re fat, that being a skinny, gorgeous goddess will solve absolutely every problem you ever had.

Why is this the case? Because being fat in a fat person’s eyes is, hands down, the biggest problem they have. It was the biggest problem I had and thus, every other problem stemmed from it. I was fat. I was ugly because I was fat. I didn’t like myself because I was ugly because I was fat. I was depressed all the time because I didn’t like myself because I was ugly because I was fat. I didn’t have a great job because I was depressed all the time because I didn’t like myself because I was ugly because I was fat. I didn’t have a boyfriend because I didn’t have a great job because i was depressed all the time because I didn’t like myself because I was ugly because I was fat.

Fat fat fat. It’s a vicious cycle.

So I was fat, so I dropped all this weight, so I became thin and for awhile it was a dream come true. But then, other things started happening.

I don’t know how a thin person thinks, in regards to a thin person who has always been thin. I don’t know how a fat person thinks, in regards to a fat person who’s always been fat. But being fat then becoming thin, I know exactly what’s going through that person’s head, the head that starts to play tricks with you once the euphoria has worn off and reality sets in.

I’m walking down the street; a good looking guy winks at me. Instead of being happy and oh, smiling back or tossing my hair, I’m thinking, Why didn’t you look at me before? I was still the same person. Is this the only reason why I get a second glance?

Dinner. I’m with my friends at a trendy little café, chatting the afternoon away. As we look through our menus and they all compare suggestions, my stomach is tying itself into a knot. I can’t eat this, or this, or this. I can’t eat anything here. I’ll get fat again.

Speaking of friends, this was also the time when I started to lose them. Some acquaintances here and there, I wasn’t terribly injured over those, but two very good friends, girls I loved and trusted, flew the coop. The first very suddenly started making fun of my appearance telling me over and over that I had a big ass. I found that more than somewhat strange, considering this was the smallest my ass had ever been.

The second, at the drop of a hat, decided I was letting my new appearance get to my head. Wearing tighter pants, fitted t-shirts, wearing my hair down, traveling Europe with my boyfriend, none of this was me. In fact, I’d become an insufferable snob.

But I worked so hard for this. You’re my friends, shouldn’t you be happy for me? Were you only my friends in the beginning because I was bigger than you, because I made you look good? Am I that bad a judge of character?

Then, I fell in love. Or at least I thought I did, with Jess, and I was skinny at the time. I was thin, I was fine, I was dressed to the nines and he didn’t stand a chance. Neither did I, for the affair that ensued. And every single day into it I remember thinking, Would this have happened to me if I was still fat? Do I deserve it more now because I lost weight?

The deeper I fell for that boy, the more I felt for him, the more I worried. I remember asking him once what would happen if I ever got fat again, if his feelings for me would change. Jess assured me that he loved me no matter what, and would always love me no matter what. As long as I was happy, he was happy too.

Well, look what happened with that.

I’m not saying I wasn’t happy with my newer self, I was. It’s just that I wasn’t happy as I thought I would be, because I know now that it wasn’t the end all, be all solution to absolutely everything.

There is no solution to absolutely everything. That’s why it’s so important for me to not do things so blindly this time around. I have to be doing it for all the right reasons, not just the flirting and couture. In the end, it’ll only be me and myself left to face the music. Fat or thin.

There will always be jerks on this planet for thin and fat girls alike, just because there will always be jerks on this planet, period. There will always be people who will like me better a certain way, or not like me at all either way. We live in a vain world, and no matter how beautiful one person may think I am, there will always be another who thinks I'm far from it. I’ll have to live with that.

As for the voices endlessly nagging me about what if, why not, don’t do this or that… I’ll just have to learn to let things go, one at a time, and definitely not be so paranoid.

So, why do I want to do this again? For dozens of reasons that I’ve mentioned dozens of times, but one in particular stands out.

I want to look at myself in the mirror again. Really look. And watch that face smile back at me.

12 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

I often wonder what it would be like to go from fat to thin. I wonder how it would change me? Even when I was thin I didn't have a great deal of confidence. Now if I were to lose weight I would have to contend with other issues, things that frighten me more than being fat. Perhaps that's why I've not taken losing weight seriously.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't worry so much about everything now. Sometimes you just don't need a solid reason for doing anything. Sometimes you just want to and that's that. Don't put so much pressure on yourself for doing anything for right or wrong reasons.

I'm not saying that your reasoning is bad I'm just saying that your mind seems crowded.

I'm a virgo and I've thought and analyzed past diets and weight loss concepts TO DEATH. And I just got so sick of myself for doing it, plus it didn't get me anywhere but stuck. I just couldn't get out of my own head. Sometimes the best thing to do is simplify.

Foofa said...

I'm one of those people who has never been thin. Even when hard core figure skating about 14+ hours a week I was around 130 (although I was under 10% body fat). For someone who is 5ft tall that isn't particularly thin.

I have often wondered what it would be like to be truly thin but have, essentially given up on it. If I wasn't thin then I'm not going to be thin now because i can't see myself exercising that hard again. I just want to be healthy which is where i think you are headed. That is a good thing.

Airam said...

You are amazing. Wow ... everything you write speaks to me just so clearly. I think the EXACT SAME THING. Exactly ... all the time. I also question why I'm getting the new found attention. I think it has something to do with the confidence level as well though. When you were bigger and you passed that good looking guy who winked at you .. would you have looked him in the eye the way you did when you were thinner? Probably not. The one thing that I'm learning to do is looking people in the eye. That's the hardest thing for me still.

Anonymous said...

There's NOTHING wrong with flirting and couture you know. And who cares why people didn't pay attention to you before. What I love MOST is those: "yeah, remember me, that person you didn't know existed .... in YOUR face! HA!" Remember that t-shirt I used to have with the "Wonder" bread logo on it .... wonder, because you'll never know. (I LOVE it!!!)

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Emma, never let other issues stop you from being who you want to be. I didn't know that at the time, and in large part, that's why I'm back here right now.

Saucy, you'll be happy to know that me in my 30's is different from me in my 20's in that I just don't give a shit anymore, about a lot of things that irked me when i was younger. This time around, for my mind anyway, I think it's going to be much better.

Natalie, being healthy is always where it's at, and always where I've wanted to be. I too have never wanted to be a stick figure, but instead covet the eat well, workout well look. And, I always pictured you taller!

Airam, the confidence level is huge. The last time I weighed as much as I do now, I wasn't getting nearly the same amount of attention, because my confidence was shot.

Oli... yeah I remember that shirt. Thanks, sis :)

Anonymous said...

There is more of a comment coming later - but I wanted to tell you that any friends who ditched you simply because you lost weight and looked good are not friends worht having at all. Sounds like they were not comfortable with the fact you were changing and were probably a little jealous too.

Yes, I know that doesn't justify being thin at all costs, but I will talk more about this later. =)

Laural Dawn said...

So just quickly commenting here.
To Link just press (at the same time) Ctrl-Shift-A
Voila.
Try it.

Gaby Hess said...

I've been fat, then thin, then fat again, and no thin again. I will always see myself as fat, and will always question why people are nicer to me now that I'm thin.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Hi Justice, thanks for coming by and commenting, I love having new readers and commenters alike. I've learned that lesson that friends who do that to you in the end were never real friends at all, but it didn't make the sting any less at the time, especially since we'd all been together for so long.

HI LAURAL!!!

Catherinette, thank you as well for coming by, reading and commenting. I have no idea why people are nicer to us when we're thin, but then in my experience, just as many people treated me badly when I was thin. It's a strange universe.

Jhianna said...

I've never been thin, but I have been thinner. And everything you said: YES! I suppose it's pretty telling that every daydream I have begins with "I'm thin and...".

Anonymous said...

And as for losing those "friends" - it's always interesting to see who actually IS a friend, and who was there just for some kind of ride. You know what I ALWAYS say .... actions speak louder than words.