Monday, April 16, 2007

100% Real Juice: Showgirls

You read right, but I can’t blame you for the second glance. What inspirational anything could possibly come out of Showgirls? The writing is horrific, and the acting is overdone and cheesy. The doggie chow scene alone makes you cry blood. I always wondered if the producers made the movie terrible on purpose, guaranteeing it would become a cult classic out of sheer badness.

Anyway, seeing as the movie is more comedy than drama or boobs, it’s fun to watch every now and again. But only if it happens to be on when you’re channel surfing.

One of the scenes in the very beginning, when Nomi is still in the pickup with Elvis wannabe dude hitching a ride to Vegas, he asks her if she gambles. She says no, and he replies, “You gotta gamble if you’re gonna win.”

We all know this to be true. How on earth is your hand going to win if you don’t put any money down on the table? Similarly, in the grander scheme of things, how can you experience victory if you don’t, in some sense, put yourself out of your comfort zone? Or just even, go for it? How will you know what triumph really feels like if you don't reach out and try?

That’s my take on things, anyway. You can go back to staring at boobs now.

5 comments:

Foofa said...

Man that is one of my favorite movies. The sex scene in the pool is priceless in its hilarity. That was actually a very true statement. I never saw the wisdom in it before now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, once I saw boobs that was it...there was actually a story to this movie?

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Natalie, that sex scene had me in stitches too. Just re-watching the movie again this weekend, after her seizure was over I couldn't help but think, that's it?? Three minutes? Was that the $2.95 special?

Her tantrums blew me away too. She was always throwing herself on something, no?

Mike, figures you'd finally leave a comment once breasts were mentioned!

Anonymous said...

That movie was so bad, even the boobs couldn't save it. It wasn't even cult-classic bad, it was just bad. That's the movie they show on TMN in hell.

Laural Dawn said...

Truthfully, I never saw that movie. But, in all honesty, you find inspiration from the weirdest places.
I've been trying to explain and defend that (re: Rebecca Eckler) on my blog and people don't get it.
At all.
But it's true. You see what you need to see when you need to see it (or something like that - I need coffee).
PS I nominated you for a blogging award now that I'm caught up.