Thursday, April 26, 2007

June 3rd. 20K. D-Day.

Pros: I’ve always wanted to do this. It’s a highway full of smooth, beautiful pavement. The weather in early June is gorgeous so I won’t drop dead from heat exhaustion, and if I learn how to pace myself properly, I can do anything. Plus, it’s for a good cause.

Cons: I’ve never done this. I just might die.

While it’s very clear that I didn’t do all that much thinking before I signed up for this, I’m doing plenty of thinking now. Most of those thoughts circle around stroke, cardiac arrest, pulmonary respiratory failure, toppling over a guardrail etc. etc., there is that one tiny little glimmer whispering to me, You can do this.

Let’s go over my skating history. Got my first pair of Rollerblades for my 18th birthday, spent a few weeks with bloody knees but within a few weeks, was whizzing around just as easily as everyone else. I skated a lot that summer, and every summer after that, especially during that June and July of my eating disorder time. Skating was my one shining star then, and I easily did between six and 10 k per session.

However, it has been awhile since I’ve done any serious skating, making me all the more nervous of impending death. But I really do think that if I lay out good skating and workout plans, this is completely possible.

After all, this is Rollerblading. I love doing this. And I do need some kind of kick start, right?

I have just over five weeks to train. Let the games begin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the games begin sista! But that means you actually have to GET the games going ..... remember .... if you want to work out, I'm here..... and you're NOT going to die you bonehead. Just pace yourself.

g string addict said...

Hey FG, this is really cool!!!! go and get some training prior to the event and yes you CAN do it!!! you go girllll!!!!!!!

Lance Morrison said...

Indeed... you go girl.
Go...
On your blades...
all the way to my place...
and pick me up...
and we can blade together...
a couple times a week...

Or you can come back from blading, and I'll sit at home and fix us a couple of vanilla ice cream Daiquiri's.

You pick.
-L

PS: Shouldn't you have roots by now?

Anonymous said...

First of all, you are NOT going 2 die.

I wish you well in your training and as your friend previously stated, it's about pace.

I can't wait 2 read about how u kicked that 20K's butt!!!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Oli... again, HA!

B, thanks for the vote of confidence! If I had my very own personal cheerleading squad, you'd be on it!

Lance m'dear, thank you, and yes I have roots. Will most likely be coming in to see you this Thursday. I should totally come pick you up for a skate...

fave, thanks for reading and commenting! Please come by more often, and hopefully I will totally be able to kick that 20k's butt!

Laural Dawn said...

You can do this!!!
I signed up for a 5k race this June - with work people. And then went and told everyone that I'm doing it so I'm committed.
But ... scared!
I can't wait to see how you do. I know you will survive it. even if you crawl to the finish I know you can!