Thursday, June 28, 2007

My Birthday, in two parts

My birthday didn’t start out on the actual day, but the day before. The 25th of June, 32 years after my mother lay screaming in agonized labour, my loved ones gathered together for my Rule #3 of birthdays: Friends and Family.

But why early? Because when you’re grown up, celebrating with other grown ups, schedules conflict. My birthday was Tuesday, but our party was Monday. Not that I’ve ever been one to complain for an extra party.

Oli and Corey came over to the house for the family thing, where I was showered with love, cards, gifts and cake. I got Ikea gift cards, bookstore gift cards, t-shirts with cute designs, nail polish and, believe it or not, the Method Mop I’ve had my eye on for the longest time. Wonderful family is wonderful to have.

Sandy came over a bit later, thoroughly delayed by work, but just in time for good food & conversation. Then as I was walking him out I saw a blue envelope sticking out of the mailbox, complete with card & coupon for a dinner and girl talk, courtesy of a friend I grew up with. Wonderful friends are wonderful to have.

The next day, my real day, followed beautifully in the steps of last year so that I can say now without a doubt: it was a good birthday.

Every morning is a great one with wet, sloppy kisses first thing in the morning from my baby boy Blue. And even though the weather was sucky in that hot, overly humid and (really) sticky kind of way, I fulfilled my Rule #1 birthday requirement with Going Outside. A ridiculous humidex is one thing, but then it’s definitely better than howling winds and mountains of snow dumped on your doorstep. No offence to all you winter birthdays.

The day went by pretty quickly, mostly taken up by errands with moms. She’s a busy lady and has limited to shop for her every this and that, so running around to shop for her every this and that we did. I still managed to apply Rule #3 by Gifting Myself though, with a gorgeous picnic basket and an iTunes card. I’ve always wanted a picnic basket and have plans for it in the month of July; as for the iTunes, to wax philosophical, the gift of music keeps on giving.

My Rule #2, Alone Time, came back at home and in the shower of all places. I usually like to do this part outside but I was in a rush and just so hot and sticky, that in the shower it was. Like I said last year, alone time is necessary because you’ve just finished a year of your life, and today is the first day of the next 364. There is reflection, plans, goals, ambitions, love and dreams to be had. And again, like last year, I could tell you what I was thinking, but then I’d have to kill you.

I was all ready to go to Sandy’s place but he told me via text that he needed a little more time before I got there, so I put the music card to use and downloaded some songs onto the pod. For your quizzing pleasure:

1. Usually when things have gone this far
People tend to disappear
No one would surprise me unless you do


2. You say the party’s over
But like a drunken fool
I never know when to leave
It’s just that in the eyes of the beholder
You mean everything to me


3. And I’ve been meaning to call you
I’ve been meaning to call you
Then I do


4. Every night my dream’s the same
Same old city with a different name
Men are coming to take me away
I don’t know why but I know I can’t stay


5. There’s no time to lose, I heard her say
Catch your dreams before they slip away


My real birthday, on my birthday, began at Sandy’s.

2 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Wah! I want my birthday here now! You make it sound so inviting!

You sound like you have wonderful friends and family. Life is really nothing without them. Enjoy every second.

Anonymous said...

We had nothing to do with the Method mop .... that was all Blue's idea. :) Glad you liked everything .....