Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hold your horses. It’s not as big as you think.

This is A job, not THE job. And while I recognize that a new job is a new job, and I may not necessarily be getting THE job anytime soon, this one here is just a little ‘un, a a from-home sensation, a sideline gig. Veuve bottle the second remains tightly shut.

Here’s what happened: a friend of mine from way back, currently running his family’s web design business, called me up. Web design and writing go hand in hand, he said. Clients are always wanting things like copy for their sites, or ads written up to advertise this or that. Writing had become such a priority, he said, that he was considering hiring an in-house writer.

He’d thought of me first because I’d done a few freelance jobs for him a while back. In terms of this job, what did I have to offer?

Plenty, as it turned out. We met up over coffee, and discussed lots of things: different kinds of writing, what he was looking for, my experience, prices. Then, he made me the company’s in-house writer. Their only writer.

It’s freelance, one step up. Contract work, as in every assignment is a contract, and I work from home. The company funnels me the writing they need, and I give them a percentage. Currently, I am writing a press release for a packaging supplies company.

Admittedly, not much. Not THE job, in fact, if nothing else comes my way by September, I’ll be back in the trenches taking notes for the deaf, while still doing this from home. But then, it is writing. Writing, not typing.

There is one huge pitfall to the timing of this though, and that’s no Ride for Heart. No 20k for me, at least not this Sunday, on the highway, for charity. I’m donating the little cash that I did raise to the Heart and Stroke Foundation

I really did want to roll down the highway, but opportunity knocked. I had to take it. As for my second mini bottle of celebration champagne, that stays properly sealed for something else. I’m not sure exactly what, but I’ll know when the day comes.

Back to packaging supplies. Boxes, baskets, bubble wrap. A goal’s still a goal, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freelancing can be terribly rewarding. I love freelancing. I hope you'll enjoy it too.

Foofa said...

It most certainly is A job, although it isn't THE job it's still writing for money and that rules.

VegasGirl said...

Well...since I'm a college kid with no job...Heck yeah that is a job! Any job that has you making money and not out on the streets sounds like good work to me =D

Congrats! I think that sounds like fun!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Saucy, I love freelance when the assignment is good, but I hate working in my slippers. How's it been working out for you?

Natalie, A job is never THE job, but then it's always for THE money, right?

Vegas, I remember those days, being fresh out of school and working for free. Ugh. Good luck to you :)

The Big Cheese said...

It all sounds so romantic and grown-up. You big girl you.