Thursday, May 31, 2007

8 Random Things

I have another Men and the Boys in the works, but packaging supplies just got more demanding, so the next couple of days are lazy ones. You know what that means?

Yup. Memes. Forgive me, though I know exactly what I do.

My good friend Laural tagged me on this meme quite a while ago, but until recently, I didn’t even know she’d done that. She tagged me as her beautiful friend, a link I never even thought to click on because, well, I just didn’t think that was me!

Laural, kisses. Not just for the compliment, but because every time I think of you I think of the two of us giggling behind the back row of computers at our school’s newspaper office.

8 Random Things about Me

Every September, I get sad when I see the flip flop tan on my feet start to fade.

One of my biggest pets peeves is when people mispronounce certain words. For the love of Pete, it’s Nuke-lee-er, not nuke-u-ler. It’s Interac, not Interact, and Dr. Seuss doesn’t start with a Z. I’m sure Zeus would have something to say about that, if he existed.

Good writing inspires me to write good (however badly that was just written), so whenever a well-written bit from a book or article I’m reading strikes me, I save it in a desktop file. For instance, I stumbled upon this today in Kate Muir’s superb novel, Left Bank: “She tapped in the security code, but before she was through the door, Madame Canovas was upon her in a flurry of shawls, lamentations and halitosis.”

I’m addicted to stupid online games, like Motherload, Alien Abduction, and Crypt Raider. That’s Crypt Raider, not Tomb Raider. No Lara Croft. Remember that 80’s subterfuge, Hunt the Wumpus? I still play it. Every now and then I still do a search for Bouncing Babies, hoping I’ll get lucky, but nothing yet.

You will never see me eating fresh papaya. The pits remind me too much of rabbit poo.

Orange juice always makes me feel better. If there’s any problem that seems too big or some icky feelings just won’t go away, I have a glass of extra pulp OJ.

When I was a kid I once say this geologist displaying all his rocks, and he had a geode among the haul. A geode is a big plain rock on the outside, but hollowed out on the inside and beautifully lined with purple quartz. I not only thought this was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen, but that every rock had something like this on the inside. I took my dad's hammer, went outside, and spent days whacking open every rock I found. No geode.

I always pack a roll of masking tape when I travel. Too many shampoo spills and important, broken things to travel without it. I have a feeling that if I ever make it to the wilds of Africa or South America, it’ll be duct tape.

I have worked in four housewares stores. So far I can carry nine cups and saucers in one hand, all stacked one on top of the other. That’s my record.

Now, I have to tag people. Let’s make this creative: EVERYONE! Go on!

5 comments:

Foofa said...

wait, where do you play Hunt The Wumpus? I would love to play that again.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

If you want to go so far as to download the game: http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/huntthewumpus

Or, with no strings attached: http://www.dreamcodex.com/playwumpus.php

Anonymous said...

O.K. I'll give you a couple of things about me ....

I can't drink (even from a straw) while walking at the same time. I have to stop walking - then drink.

I package ALL my spillable stuff in ziploc bags when travelling. (I think that must have driven Corey crazy)

My comfort food is one of two things - depending on my mood ... cheese puffs (cheetos) or Smart Food. Yummy!

I CAN'T STAND it when people staple papers that are not perfectly aligned at the corners.

I hate it when people eat in my car.

My nose is lethal. Even though it's stuffed most of the time - I can detect (almost) anything by smell.

I loved drawing and building so much that even to this day, I wish I had gone into architecture.

I'm afraid that I won't be successful in my life ... I actually have anxiety over that one ....

That's it. I'll think of more later ...

mwa!

And I CAN'T STAND pulp in orange juice ... it's like you have to eat the juice. blah! (weirdo)

Anonymous said...

Wait, that was 8 random things ... kind of followed your lead, but that's cool. And that's all I'm writing. Whew!

Mood Indigo said...

oh my gosh I have missed your writing!