Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Back to the drawing board means going back to basics. Going back to basics means, once again, going back to where it all fell apart.

If my body was that important to me, if this better health and well-being thing was at the top of my list, why did I let it happen? How could I have let it go?

I’d accomplished at least part of my goal for Oli’s wedding. I didn’t get down to where I wanted to go, but I was decently satisfied with the September 23rd result.

After that, things just got busy. I had work, I had school, I had dashing to and fro with minutes to spare, grabbing whatever I could in the meantime, just for the sake of having a meal.

And then, I had Sandy. Breakfasts in bed, downtown lunches, afternoon cafĂ© stops and romantic dinners with Sandy. The fact that we’re both food snobs doesn’t help; neither do his exceptional kitchen skills.

With Sandy, a meal isn’t a meal so much as an experience. We have excellent times, he and I, excellent times laced with gorgonzola cheese with cherry preserves on walnut crackers; parmesan drizzled with aceto balsamico; baby greens with radicchio and honey vinaigrette; homemade prosciutto drowned with glasses of amarone, and some candied ginger for extra snap.

Giggling, we feed one another, then share a shot of chocolate grappa before moving on to the next experience: each other.

It’s quite the drug. When two people are as much a part of the moment as the food, it’s a hard thing to give up.

Fall flew into winter, which flew into the holiday season, which was office party after brunch with friends after dinners upon dinners upon dinners with family. January, back to work, back to rushing, back to here.

So, here we are. Here I am. It’s funny in one way, that after I’ve listed every excuse in the book, I find that I really had none to begin with.
But it is what it is and, that said, the one thing I can proud of is that while I did loosen my grip, I didn’t let go. I haven’t gained any extra weight.

Then again, when I look back on the past few months, it was exactly the amount of time that I needed to get this finished once and for all.

Sigh. Dieting sucks. So does Inventory, which I’m going to have to do again. Is there any better way to remind a girl of her shortcomings, than standing buck naked in front of the mirror?

4 comments:

Foofa said...

It's good that you have kept things incheck and not gained weight back. It's always hard to get back to the dieting thing I know you can accomplish your goal!

Airam said...

Don't look at it as dieting ... the fact that you haven't gained any weight is amazing!

Give yourself one hour each day (or if not each day at least a few times a week) and just work out like a mad woman. Then not only will you feel good about yourself but you won't feel guilty about all the yummy food you've been eating with Sandy (reading it made me hungry).

I know it's easier said than done (if anyone knows it's me) ... but you'll feel so good about yourself. And don't look at it as "I need a few months to look how I want". It has to be a life change ... not change for a few months.

Maybe I should take my own advice.

The Tormented Girl said...

mmm gorgonzola with cherry preserves on crackers... now known as "with love" snacks in my house and a prerequisite on my dinner with friends menu forevermore. Can't thank you enough :]

Mrs. Loquacious said...

It is possible to eat well and eat healthy, but it costs money and time, so you'll have to consider those factors. Our grocery bill nearly doubled when we started our "5-Factor Fitness" workouts, which we're on week 4 of. It's the first time Hubbs & I have been able to stay on plan, eat well, and fit workouts into our chaotic schedules (it's only 30 minutes/day). It has also caused our grocery bill to double, unfortunately. BUT...good news is for breakfast today I had whole-grain French Toast with sugar-free syrup and it was delicious! :)