Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Oli gets Married, Chapter 6

Not just yet for me, though. I still had a speech to give.

When I was 16, I was in a public speaking competition at my new high school. It was only two and a half weeks into the school year, and getting up on a stage to face hundreds of people I barely knew was a daunting prospect.

I can talk pretty fast. When I’m in the banals of teenage-dom and nervous, I talk really really fast. Warp speed. The last thing I remember before getting off stage was the sea of blank stares and open mouths. That bad.

To be totally cliché, that scarred me for life, and while things have admittedly gotten much better since, it doesn’t mean I jump for joy when faced with a presentation.

Well, at least I’d be speaking first. The wedding planner wanted to break up the meal with speeches before, during and after dinner, and thought it would be best if I paved the way for everyone else.

Fabulous. Cue clueless girl music, here. I pave for nothing and no one, dammit! But then, it’s always best to get it over with.

My cousin Seth was the emcee, and was gracious enough to take me by the hand and lead me over to the podium. He was even more gracious enough to let me imprint nail marks into his fingers, announce me as “the unforgettable,” and stay beside me during the first minute into my speech.

Shakin’ in my heels, I tell ya. Here were 95 people hearing me out, many of whom I knew personally, and my darling sister the bride, my biggest supporter, and best friend.

Who wasn’t listening to a word I was saying.

The first time, I chalked it up to atmosphere. It was a busy time, the food was coming out, and everyone was a hell of a lot more interested in the grilled root vegetables and caramelized walnut and stilton salad then anything I could possibly be saying. So into the microphone, I just said, “Oli, pay attention!” That got some laughs.

The second time, she was talking to someone. Again I said, “Okay Oli, my heart is bleeding for you up here. Listen up!” More laughs, and she shouted, “Sorry!” across the room.

Third time she was talking to Corey. This time, I was a little more drastic. “Do you know how many hours it took me to write this speech, and how many sit ups it took to get into this dress?”

More laughter, but I got Oli’s attention this time. I think she caught the tail end okay.

Dinner was marvelous, as it should have been; we’re talking about my sister and her now husband, after all.

Menu

Freshly baked breads, Italian breadsticks, flatbreads and foccacia served with babaganoush, hummus, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Roasted Vegetable & Antipasto Platter with bocconcini and parmesan drizzled in balsamic syrup.

Signature Salad with crumbled stilton cheese dressing in a delectable pear vinaigrette.

Beef Medallions encrusted in peppercorn and served in a fragrant demi-glaze

Roast Turkey Roulade rolled with traditional stuffing and served with gravy and cranberry sauce.

Roasted Purple Potatoes

Roasted Root Vegetable Platter

Cheese and Fruit Platters: A tantalizing selection of both local and imported cheese, and fresh seasonal fruits.

Specialty Coffee Bar: Cappuccino, Espresso, Mochachino, as well as regular coffee, made to order.

After the Cake Cutting, Chocolate Banana Cupcakes and Green Tea Cupcakes.

And later in the evening, an assortment of thin crust Pizzas.

We enjoyed this to the fullest, every last one of us in the room. And then, when the plates were cleared away and every last speech had been said, the floor was opened for dancing.

Fast Forward: The day Oli and Corey left for their honeymoon to beautiful Hawaii, I came back from work to find an envelope with my name on it, on my front steps. In it was a card with a ringing telephone on the front, and the moniker, Advice Hotline. I opened it up to find this:

There’s nothing better than knowing you’re just a phone call away.

My dearest Pookie!

Even though you think I wasn’t listening to your speech, I was.... Thank you for absolutely everything! But most of all, thank you for being the most AWESOME sister that ever was. And regardless of where we are, or how married we may be, we will ALWAYS be sisters, and NOTHING will ever change that. I love you and always will, cause you’re the bestest little big sister in the WHOLE WORLD!

Love always, your big little sis,
Oli

I may have shed a tear or two. But don’t tell anyone.

3 comments:

g string addict said...

I am sheding tears too *hugs*

Oli is the luckiest girl in the world to have a sister like you :)

With Love, Fat Girl said...

We're brilliant.... together. That's what sisters are for!

(Thanks for the compliment too, I try!)

Lance Morrison said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... It was the best wedding I have ever been to in my entire life.

Even if we had to sit with 'The Help".