Thursday, March 22, 2007

To know me, one must know my Weight Chronology. True to Fat Girl form, it quite nicely showcases all the years of my bulge, highlighted with spots of thin-ism. Here it is, all badder years and shining moments:

0-11: Average.

12: After surgery, I put on some weight. Hey, you would too if you had to lie still all the time. My growth spurt helps thin me out.

13-16: Average.

17: Here come the pounds…

18: And more pounds…

19: My fattest year to date.

20: Ever-so-slightly smaller than the year before.

21: Drop quite a bit, but still thick.

22-24: Same.

24-26: Super sexy, super smokin’, super fine. My thinnest years to date.

27: Here come the pounds…

28-29: And more pounds…

30: Slow, slow downslide, but back to thicker than usual.

31: Here we are, present day. Better than usual, but still thick. I need to lose more weight.

In between these years, between the gaining and the losing and the crying and the upset were still more years and more diets where I lost a little, then gained it back. Lost a little, gained it back; lost a little, gained it back.

Bow to your corner, bow to your own
Three hands up and ‘round you go
Break it up with a dosey-do
Chicken in the bread pan kickin’out dough


This is not a dance I want to keep doing for the rest of my life. I hate square dancing, anyway.

Yo-Yo Dieting is very bad for you. Going up and down in weight during short periods of time can’t be healthy, and I’m guessing, will help contribute to a rotten old age. I don’t consider myself old (just yet), but I know I’m not getting any younger. If I keep dabbling like this, I’m going to make myself sick.

You will too, you know. People who are much smarter than me have said as much:

Besides being terribly discouraging – gaining, losing and regaining weight can be very dangerous to your health, specifically the cardiovascular system, the digestive system and the skin.

That is why, these days, it’s so important to look at the big picture. When one wants to change their weight, overall appearance and lifestyle in general, one must look at their entire world as a whole, and not just the quick fix that will temporarily make it all better.

Why? Because diets don’t work.

By only restricting caloric intake, chronic dieters condition their bodies to survive on fewer calories, thereby putting themselves at greater risk for weight gain with the slightest increase in caloric intake.

If you need further proof just take a look at my weight chronology or better yet, write out your own. See how far the Slim Fasts and Cabbage Soup Diets have taken you, and make sure to also carefully note the damage they’ve caused. Losing five pounds a week is fantastic, but gaining seven back the following week is devastating. The spring in your step and the glow that was once on your face will be nothing compared to the misery and bad feelings that replace them.

Doctors, nutritionists, dietitians and personal trainers who don’t work for the big corporations selling us the bullshit ads that promise "Thin for Life” but never pay up, have been telling us the same thing for years:

Most weight-management experts and physicians now agree that a far better approach to long-term weight loss requires a combination of good nutrition and exercise.

The moral of the story is, no matter how easy the fast way seems, it’s harder in the long run.

Oyvey. The painful truth. I have to eat better. And, I have to go back to the gym.


** Square dance lyrics from a Bugs Bunny episode entitled "Hillbilly Hare"
** Quotes taken from “Yo-Yo Dieting – Stop the Madness” by Sharon Stewart for www.lifetoolsforwomen.com

11 comments:

Airam said...

Yeah. Exactly.

Anonymous said...

"Losing five pounds a week is fantastic, but gaining seven back the following week is devastating."

You're getting it. No point losing five and gaining ten later.

I always stress this to my friends but well they won't listen. If they want to be fat bitches, let them be.

More power to you.

All the best girl!

Anonymous said...

You should put a pic of yourself on this blog. I'll bet you're fine. You probably have that sexy Nigella Lawson domestic goddess thing going.

Foofa said...

truer words were never written

Anonymous said...

What seems to work best with everyone I know is moderation, both with food and exercise. You might want to start with cutting back, instead of completely cutting out stuff. As for exercise, if your not someone who's "loves" the way exercise makes you feel, well you've got to make it convenient, so you won't make excuses for not doing it. Even Oprah admits to hating working out, but she knows she has to do it (and manages to find the time to do it). It's the 2-3 hour gym routine that usually fails for people I know. Heck, visit the same gym in January and again in March or April and you'll see it for yourself. They keep it up for about a month or two, then end up dropping it because they can't find the time to exercise. The one's who commit themselves to one hour max in the gym are the one's who've kept it up. Everyone's got at least 30 minutes in their day they can spare. And if getting to the gym is still a problem, or walking around your 'hood isn't desirable either, you might want to consider investing in an elliptical trainer or treadmill for your loft. I know some people who've done it and, after spending the first few weeks using it as an expensive clothing hamper, really starting using it while watching their favorite shows. They now feel it was the best investment they ever made.

Unknown said...

no matter what you will always have a not-so-secret admirer. Hint: he wears faded non-cool aviator glass, northern getaway sweatshirts, lee jeans that are slightly too short and has white socks with black loafers. he is clearly the highlight of your friday afternoons

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Thanks for all the best wishes and luck, lord knows I'll need all the luck and help I can get. I'd love to get back into the quickie loop but really, there's no point.

Caitlin, I'll fight you for him!!!! (actually you can have hi, he probably likes straight-haired girls better!)

With Love, Fat Girl said...

By the way Anya, your blog is *impossible* to get to... every time I blogroll you it gets stubborn and won't let me connect! Suggestions??

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I agree entirely...caloric restrictions and hardcore workouts are good for a season, but what happens when life happens and it's no longer possible to keep it up? The numbers climb, the self-esteem plummets, and you're left back at square -10.

For sure, the best way is slower...and permanent... and maintainable. It's also a path I am doggedly trying to pursue.

saucygrrl said...

Ok hon. It's time for some tough love (and even though I risk being unpopular I feel that I can say it because a. I'm not the cheerleader type and b. I'm going through similar weight loss issues.)

I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm really not, but I do hope to maybe provide a little insight into the stall you're experiencing. It seems to me, that our problem is not with the follow through, it's with the motivation. It's about what you want MORE. Do you want that Creme Brulee more, or do you want to lose weight? I'm not being cruel here. If you're anything like me the answer would straight away be: give me the goddamn creme brulee bitch! Until our answer is: I want those size 8 jeans, then we're forever going to flounder.

It's just the way it is. We love food. And right now, I'm experiencing really fantastic dishes is our priority. There's nothing wrong with that, except that it's pretty much the one thing that is going to keep us in our size 14s. If we're ok with that, then we can make our peace with our waistband. If not, then you know what you need to do.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Saucy, I just wanted the recipe (and instructions, he's a chef) so I could make creme brule for dinner parties.

Another thing - I don't intend on cheating myself out of the little pleasures in life anymore. Every time I cut everything out, I welcome it all back in too quickly, and I get nowhere fast.

I hear what you're saying, though. But with moderation, there is success with everything. Cheers.