Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I don’t know anyone who’s not a fan of Italian food. Pasta, cheeses, fresh vegetables, red meats, herbs, rich tomato sauces and decadent, creamy desserts. Even if you’re a vegetarian (and I’ve never seen an Italian vegetarian), you can find something mind-blowingly superb for yourself in their plentiful array of delicacies.

I’m not a vegetarian, and I love Italian food. Dating an Italian is one thing for your palate, but going to his parent’s house is another thing altogether. There you’ll find excellent everything, a cantina filled with his father’s homemade wine and bevy of cured meats, right beside his mother’s endless jars of sauces, preserves and picklings.

A couple of nights ago we stopped by for just a few minutes. Two hours, some homemade prosciutto, parmesan cheese, olive stuffed loaf, white wine and spiced sausages later, Sandy's mom is still insisting, “Mangia, mangia!” while his dad refills my glass.

Everything is so good, but I’m beyond capacity. “Please, I can’t,” I tell her, “It’s all delicious, but I’m too full!”

She looks at me quizzically. “But you can eat,” she says. “You skeeny.”

God Bless that woman.

6 comments:

Foofa said...

Don't you just love people that say such wondeful things. The food sounds awesome as well. You are right, even as a vegetarian there are some amazing Italian dishes out there.

g string addict said...

You are skinny!!!!!!!!!

hohohohoohhoohohohoho

*hugs*

Airam said...

Being an Italian, you've painted an all too familiar scene for me.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

No I'm not skeeny, and yes I do love it when people say such wonderful things! It's amazing when people can make you feel so good about yourself.

Airam, you're Italian? What part? And do you have relatives in WB?

rookie teacher said...

Southern Italy ... dad from Calabria and mom from Lucania (region above Calabria). Relatives in WB? I think I have an idea what that stands for but not entirely sure ....

All of my dads side are in Canada and all of my moms are in Italy.

Airam said...

Ah crap I just realized.