Sunday, March 25, 2007

Calorie Chronicles: The Eating Disorder(s)

I was born and raised in the Western Hemisphere, a blessing and curse in its own right. I live in a country with a stable economy and equal opportunity for all, where everyone has the right to realize their dreams if they are willing to work hard enough.

I also live in a country with the most brainwashed and distorted perceptions of the human condition. Ours is a poisoned society, because all too often we give merit for good looks, instead of a person's true inner worth. We have America’s Next Top Model, The Swann and Extreme Makeover, shows where the most beautiful are rewarded, or where happiness is given to the miserable by reinventing their physical appearance. They were miserable to begin with, because they thought they were ugly.

Why don’t we have shows called Everyday Heroes, Shaping Young Minds, Inspirations, or The Next Nobel Peace Prize Winner? Low ratings, I suppose. But I hear the next installment of The Bachelor will be airing soon.

The expectations on women are particularly cruel, and we see them everyday. Svelte, gorgeous actresses, stunning models, magazine covers, centerfolds; they’re everywhere we look, everywhere we go, from billboards to subway ads to television and drugstore shelves. It’s unavoidable, all of it.

Ask a group of little girls who they would rather be like, Madeleine Albright or Lizzy McGuire. How many of them would actually know who Madeleine Albright is?

At one time or another we have all fallen into the Perfection Trap and for most of us, the standards of 36-24-36 are impossible to reach. Thousands, millions, billions of collective dollars are spent every year in that Quest for Beautiful, but how many actually reach it?

And then for others the situation becomes something else altogether; something a lot more dangerous.

I have never known a woman or girl with an eating disorder. At the same time, I have never met a woman or girl who didn’t have an eating disorder. I say that because I don’t know if dabbling with eating disorders really means that you have one; if the girl who’s putting her finger down her throat to lose a few pounds is truly on the same level as the 80lb girl at the clinic.

We all know what they are, the queens of the disorders crop being Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia.

Anorexia seems the more fatal of the two, a psychiatric condition dealing with the obsessive fear of gaining weight. These poor souls starve, vomit and exercise their way to skinny, often becoming so fearfully thin that they barely weigh enough to survive. We have all seen pictures; often, a photo of a severe anorexic can be matched to the starving child living in famine, or the concentration camp victims of the second world war.

Many, many people, mostly women, have had Anorexia nervosa. Many have died.

Bulimia is the other one, where binge eating is followed by brutal purging; vomiting, laxative abuse, diuretics, fasting, and extreme physical activity. Television has given us the popular image of the bulimic as the gorgeous supermodel inhaling a four-tier wedding cake by herself, followed by a trip to the bathroom for a cleansing puke. No calories, no damage.

But there’s plenty of damage, especially over time. The digestive system pays a heavy price from all that forced vomiting, and severe potassium loss can lead to heart failure, heart attack and stroke. There is also the toll on physical appearance: limp hair, sallow skin, ruined teeth.

Sometimes I think it's pretty ironic that looks start to flounder, considering that a big reason a lot of people start doing this in the first place, is to look better. At least, that is what it seems.

Anorexia, bulimia, bulimia, anorexia. We are not strangers to each other, they and I. Though our time together was brief, there was a summer where I played with both.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I randomly came across your blog and wanted to say a few things. I'm curious why you said: It’s pretty ironic that looks start to flounder, considering the primary reason anyone starts doing this in the first place, is to look better. Perhaps a portion of people with eating disorders start this way, but I know a very large (possibly larger than the first) portion start from things like rape and depression and neglect. My own eating disorder began with severe depression, where I just felt too down to eat anything. I wasn't actively starving myself, I just couldn't bring myself to eat.

Another thing - bulimia is just as fatal as anorexia. The only problem is bulimia deaths aren't as widely publicized, I think, because it doesn't seem as glamorous or whatever the news wants. Lots of bulimics die in their sleep from heart failure, many others have heart attacks or strokes from potassium loss.

The last is me being nitpicky because it always seems like someone has to be in a clinic or some sort of treatment center to be really anorexic. Even in the communities devoted to the diseases, people who have been IP (in-patient) are put up on a level of their own - they're almost worshipped. Someone who's in treatment can be just as sick as someone who hides away in their house.

I'll get off my soap box now :3

On a completely separate tangent, I really like your writing style! I think I'm going to revisit your blog in the future :3

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Hi Abby,

First off, thanks very much for visiting and all associated compliments. New readers, especially ones who comment, always make my day.

I feel owe you an apology because you’re obviously so much more entrenched in the eating disorder than I ever was, and as a result, know much more about it. I only write things from my experiences and point of view, and often when in a general writing rush, don’t go the mile on certain elements.

I did what I did to look better, and my appearance at the time was resulting in a lot of depression. I’m so sorry you had to experience what you did.

I know that bulimia is just as fatal, hence why I put down “anorexia seems the more fatal of the two,” but thanks for the extra facts on heart failure, heart attacks and potassium loss. I checked several bulimia FAQ pages but ironically, none listed the symptoms you describe. Thanks for the extra info, and if you re-read the above entry again, you’ll see that I made some corrections based on your information.

I agree with you on the treatment issues, too. About a ten minute drive from my parents’ house is a gorgeous neighbourhood, million dollar homes, and every so often I see this one young girl, mid 20’s, jogging. She’s skin and bones, barely 90lbs, and every time I see her I wish I had the authority to kidnap her on the spot, and drive straight to a clinic. I wonder how her family and friends are dealing with it.

Foofa said...

My best friend growing up went from about 140 to 80lbs in 6months and no one seemed to notice but me. We finally got her some help and she is a much healthier person these days. It is truly a scary disease.

Airam said...

I think it's safe to say that most women have had some sort of eating disorder in their lifetime (whether short-lived or ongoing or sporadic). And I know I'm one of them. Mine is sporadic. Unfortunately.

Unknown said...

No need to appologize :3 it's a great post and I get picky when I'm at work with nothing to do (lol) but thank you all the same!
The potassium has to do with electrolytes and how many are lost by purging (the longer you wait after digestion starts, the more you lose) which cause awful imbalances in the body's chemistry. Also excessive purging can cause the stomach lining to rupture, spilling everything into a person's body cavity and causing death. And there's tearing of the esophogus (my spelling is terrible, I know).
And then there are the hundreds of people who end up killing themselves before the eating disorder does - I'm not sure if those count as fatalities from the eating disorders, but I think they should.

Anyway, I ramble. Take care of yoruself!

Kimkins Chick said...

Like the blog, I saw you put 34" waist in your desired measurements instead of 36-24-36, I'm sure it's just a typo. Most women probably already have the 34" waist.

You forgot one eating disorder, a huge one, that I and many other bloggers have....and fight with every day...and that is binge eating. We don't starve or puke but we binge, especially when we feel sad or stressed or tired or bored, and then we feel terrible and start the whole thing over again. All of the disorders stem from an inner hole or pain that we're just not sure how to fix. Great post!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Natalie, it truly is. I'm glad your friend pulled through.

Airam... you and me both.

Abby, thanks again for the tidbits. They came in very useful :)

Gustav, thanks for coming by. Like I said before, new readers always make my day. And for pointing out the 36-24-36 typo, I fixed that.

I didn't mention binge eating on its own because it wasn't a part of these calorie chronicles in a personal sense, at least not yet. Who knows what the future holds though.

eating disorder said...

Make sure to eat breakfast. This is because breakfast is the meal most frequently skipped by those who have eating disorders. Moreover, eating breakfast will provide your body with the needed calorie for the day, so even if you skip latter meals, you are not depriving yourself too much of essential nutrients.

bulimia said...

The most positive way for parents to influence their children's eating habits and to prevent weight problems and eating disorders is to have healthy eating habits themselves.