Thursday, March 22, 2007

Skeeny or Not Skeeny, I have my own opinions of myself.

It’s been a couple of weeks since Sandy and I returned from Vegas and my life is, predictably, exactly where I left it.

Same job. Same weight. No book to speak of. Loft half done.

I know I can’t expect my life to 180 in a few lousy days, but still. What the hell is wrong with me? Why can’t I get a grip on this? Why is it so hard to do?

Something like getting a job doesn’t happen overnight; neither does writing a book, or decorating your home. The money alone for that last one is what takes the most time.

But starting a newer, healthier way of living, something that will only make me ecstatically happy, is something that can be started right away.

Why do I keep putting this off?

It’s easier to put off, that’s for certain. It’s easier to just keep living the way that I am, getting that morning coffee and visiting the Bagel Shack for lunch. But in doing that, all I’m really succeeding at is plodding through my day-to-day. I’m not putting up a fight, or even giving it my best effort. I’m not leaving blood on the ice.

I know I still want it. I’m still whining, right? I want to lose weight, I want to lose weight, I want to lose weight… You’d think that after I’ve gone this long, compared the good to the bad, typed my story until my fingers blistered (well, not literally), and knowing what it’s like to be fat vs. what it’s like to be thin, would have thrown me on the path long ago. In fact, I should have been in a frenzy to start.

Why, why, why? Because because because. Because I’m lazy. Because I’m a dumbass. I’m a 31 year old dumbass who still won’t shove through her thick skull that WANTING is not enough. It’s DOING that makes the difference.

So here I am again, wanting to be different. And here I am again, proposing to make changes. But I want to be a little different with it this time. Every diet I ever started, every “new plan” that never worked, I started with cutting things out.

Could I perhaps just smarten up a little and still get to where I have to go, without being a total dietary fascist? If I took things slowly and surely, as opposed to burning out after starting too quickly, I might just win the race.

I guess I’ll never know until I try. So, it’s time to start being a little more good. To start, I’ll eat healthier for a total of one week, just to see where it gets me. Up on the vegetables, down with the Bagel Shack. For now.

And, no sugar for that one week. I know the spirit of this isn’t to cut things out, but I do want sugar cleaned out of my system, for the most part.

After tomorrow, anyway. James is teaching me how to make crème brule.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you want things to change, and they WILL. Like you said - just leave some blood on the ice. (I can help with that one you know ... oh sorry, forgot, it's not literal. I was just kdding anyhow.) So, one step at a time .... isn't there a saying that goes something like .... the journey of a million miles starts with one step .... or something like that.

There was this one guy, mature student, in my first year at university that I will NEVER forget. He was a little rough around the edges, but damn brilliant! I remember stressing about EVERYTHING near the middle of the 2nd semester. You know how it goes - EVERY professor gives you an assignment in the SAME week due practically the SAME day. Think I started hyperventilating, or something close to that. He strides up in step beside me one day as we're leaving a class and asks me what's wrong? So, you know how it goes .... you start this panic vent ..... blah, blah, blah, blah, BLAH! He smiles and tells me - stop taking EVERYTHING into perspective at once. That's enough to drive anyone crazy. Just do it one at a time. Focus on one thing, set a time line, finish it, and start on the next. That was what he was doing .... and he walked off. Hhhhmmmm. Doesn't sound so bad does it. Hey, if it worked for Mr. Genius Brainiac, I'm sure it could work for anyone.

And like Nike says .... Just do it!

You go sis!

Foofa said...

I always do really wekk for a month or so on a strict diet then fall off and things aren't as good. I am trying to just get better on a whole and look at the big picture. I've started losing again, slowly and surely. It's the best way.

g string addict said...

I swear by the vege intake and the close-to-nothing sugar intake (except the ones naturally occuring in fruits and vegetables) - they really do make you feel better. Perhaps intially bloated (due to the increase of fibre intake), but it passes after a few days.

And drink lots of water.

And the 80-20 proportion of course: 80% healthy, 20% treats - so start healthy living today and have your treats when you n James are making creme brule!

hugs!!!

rookie teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Airam said...

I'm the same way ... everything that you've typed out here is the exact same thing that goes through my head daily.

Perhaps we should do this together ... email to eachother our activities, food, etc and we can be eachother's support

Airam said...

And yes ... that deleted comment was me from my other more secret blog. Guess cat's out of the bag at least for you!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Thanks for the advice, stinky, and sure we can work out together again. As long as you promise not to beat me up.

Natalie, your phrase "big picture" inspired the next post.

b, the next to no sugar intake is very, very important. And thanks for the 80-20 equation, I've never actually heard of that before, but it sounds useful! I'll let you know.

Airam, WB stands for wood and then bridge. So far, I don't know any italians who don't have relatives up there :)

As for the support system... I've always wanted a buddy for just those things. Have we just become friends on another level?

Airam said...

I figured it meant woodbridge ... unfortunately my cousins would say they have a relative that lives there (me). Everyone else is dispersed.

And perhaps we have become friends on another level. Reading your blogs I totally get your struggle because it's what I deal with on a daily basis.