Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I will never forget that, not for the rest of my life. But it did get easier, and continues to do so. And I managed to have a great rest of the holidays too.

I normally hate New Year's, but this one was a blast. I mean, it's just another DAY, people, do you really think it's a whole new chance to forget the past and start fresh? The crowds drive me nuts too. Every soccer mom and yuppy dad from the burbs just HAVE to spend New Year's Eve in the city and watch that stupid apple come down. Puh-lease.

Our crowd decided to go a little different, so we went to... drumroll... Benihana! Yes I know it's a franchise and exists just about everywhere, but none of us had ever been and decided to take the plunge. Once you got past the 80's floral mauve & teale wallpaper and the shamisen soundtrack on perpetual loop, it was really very nice. The food was excellent, even if dessert was pre-frozen and the chef was kinda tired and lacking. Isn't dinner supposed to BE the show at Benihana? I mean the onion ring steam volcano was cool and all, but that "let's bang my wooden salt grinder and pepper mill together lackadaisically for 20 minutes" deal didn't exactly thrill us to no end.

After getting thoroughly loaded off red wine and learning that the restaurant closed way before midnight, we convinced a limo to take us back to my sister's house for five bucks a head, and made it just in time for midnight. Jess and I, Raj, my sister and her (still not official) commie fiance brought in New Year's with love, good wishes and store bought shots, which they all handled just fine, but I managed to spill down my top. Happy New Year! So while everyone was kissing and singing that stupid Auld Lang Syne song, I was lamenting my $80 lace and velvet bra that was now covered in cream and strawberry liquor.

The next morning my sister called. My hairpins, necklace, socks and blouse were thrown all over her living room, so I'm positive I had a fabulous time.

And now for the real business of New Year's: the resolution(s). Aha, I made mine way before this, remember? Just to refresh your memory

1) get a new job

2) lose sixty (odd) pounds

3) decorate my loft without Debbie Travis

4) survive my sister’s wedding

5) plan & survive my best friend’s wedding

6) finish the cookbook that has been idling for 1148 days (and counting)

7) achieve emotional and romantic peace, if there is such a thing

And the informal 8) that I added later on was, get back behind the wheel, get used to the road and get a car, dammit.

So, to this point, how much have I achieved, and how far have I gone?

1 comment:

Lance Morrison said...

I can think of nothing I would rather do that to put a link to your blog, on mine. In fact, it's already there. Look at that!
I've read a bit of yours already. Fun stuff. I look forward to reading more of your inner thoughts, and sharing mine with you.
Oh.... and thanks for the comliment. Now I'm blushing.
-L