Thursday, November 17, 2005

Let us venture away from the fat lands for just a little bit, and talk about other pressing matters on the list of General Repairs.

My sister is engaged. For the third time. To a younger man she’s known for all of seven months.

Yeah, that’s how I feel too. Mind you, there are always exceptions; with her other engagements, one was official and the other unofficial, meaning no ring or formal proposal, just a newbie-couple skirting around the M word. The engagement that was official lasted about six weeks (thank God, he was such a bozo), and even though I’ve played the “younger man” card with fiancĂ© elect, he is only three years her junior.

It’s just that she has this tendency to get, oh, carried away. She’s five years older than me and either gets into forever relationships with no sense of direction, or falls flat on her face and is planning the rest of their lives within the month. That is, the month they met.

So it’s safe to say that sometimes I worry about her. Fancy that, the younger one worrying over the older one. I think she was supposed to be uptight and responsible and guide her directionless, unfocused sister down the proper path, right?

I really do know that she’s old enough to make her own decisions, her own mistakes and her own happiness… it’s just that its been the two of us for so long. Boyfriends came and boyfriends went, but my sister and I were always a pair.

And now she’s going to be a Mrs. And eventually, a mother. Hopefully without a minivan, but while I’m wallowing please let me go all the way.

Well, he’s nice enough at least. The wedding is next October-ish, so I’m hoping that any and all kinks will be worked out by then. And I do have to admit that there’s one absolutely huge perk in all of this for me – when she changes her last name, I can finally use her a as job reference. Vive la difference!

Oh and before I forget to mention, I’m the Maid of Honour. Most Honourable Maid to the Bride. Meaning that within the year I will need to fit into a slinky creation that will make me the goddess of the evening. Yee-haw.

No comments: