Tuesday, July 10, 2007


Legend has it that mothers were the first to colour eggs, in order to make breakfast more fun for their children. Only later was the practice incorporated into Easter.

Sometimes, small things make the ordinary extraordinary, or at least more pleasurable, especially for the palate. Since we’re talking about eggs, let’s talk hard boiled. I don’t like them. Unless they’re devilled or between two pieces of multigrain bread in salad form, total ixnay.

Chinese tea eggs, on the other hand, are fabulous. Hard boil some eggs for 20 minutes, gently crack all the shells, then simmer on extreme low heat for two hours in a soup of water, soy sauce, black tea leaves & star anise. Continue marinading them in the fridge overnight, and in the morning you have gorgeous, marbled eggs with a taste of the slightly exotic.

It makes all the difference, these small touches that keep us sane. Another thing I’m not a fan of is salad dressing, for the most part that is, but then the concoction that Sandy and I discovered just tickles my senses. In a plastic bottle or jar, mix together equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a few drops of sesame oil and a generous dollop of honey. Shake shake shake, pour over some salad, and be taken away.

Little things. Water is wonderful, but flavour is easier to drink. I don’t like bottled or canned stuff, much less powdered anything you can add to H2O for a sweeter taste. Good quality tea though, that’s something else. Bearing in mind that the summer is too hot for hot drinks, making iced tea, proper iced tea, with good quality green leaves, is superb.

Two Chinese tea eggs, a handful of blueberries, vegetable stew, a baby green salad with dressing, and a pot of white ginger iced tea, equivalent to six cups of water. Thus far, this is what I’ve eaten today. Healthy whole foods, eaten in moderation, with the intent to proceed slowly but surely, in the hope to make a difference.

I’ve been dabbling for a long time now, losing a bit here and there, but it’s not enough. These body issues of mine, this crisis, is stopping me from being me.

I miss me. I’m drawing the line.

7 comments:

Mood Indigo said...

That sounds SO yummy!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

It is definitely all the little things that make the difference...and that *count* in the fight against the body fat. I LOVE homemade dressings (but am slightly lazy about whipping it up), I prefer my eggs done sunny side up (yolk-free), and water is best with a wedge of lime and lemon. I've also become addicted to those lovely yellowy red cherries fresh from the farmer's market.

Now I'm hungry, dang it! :P

AndreAnna said...

Good for you! I'm in love with Pluots and white nectarines! so tasty!

I only like creamy salad dressings, which is a huge hindrance to my heiney.

Oh well. I'm still going. I lost 120 lbs on my own before I got preggo, then gained 75 back, and have 10 left to lose. My excess skin should have it's own postalk address. And she's 14 months old today. Sad, so sad. LOL.

Foofa said...

I'm not an egg person either. I don't know if i could even do Chinese Tea Eggs and they sure are pretty. I am all about making homemade dressings. I do all sorts of variations on the vinegarette but haven't done honey. I'll have to try it. I've been doing a pesto one with equal parts vinegar and pesto. Since there is oil in the pesto you don't need to add any more. It's awesome. I'm all about cucumber in my water. It's a great taste!

Anonymous said...

It's all about moderation and loving what you eat, baby. Those eggs look amazing.

Airam said...

Mmmmmm ... when can I come over for dinner!!!

:)

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Mood, super yummy!

Mrs. L, you always make me laugh... and in this case, hungry too!

Natalie, the pretty factor of the tea eggs is what made me make them in the first place. Is it sad or admirable to want to eat good design? And I'm totally with you on the cucumbers in the water... try fresh sweet basil, too.

Saucy, I wholeheartedly concur.

Airam, anytime! (But come to Sandy's, he's a better cook than I am, and lord knows his fridge is always more full too)