Sunday, July 22, 2007

Decorator's Handbook: Project Bedroom

“One Day at a Time” is the doctrine for Alcoholic’s Anonymous, thus I have made “One Room at a Time” the decorator’s philosophy. My unprofessional decorator’s philosophy that is, and definitely one that suits me well. I can multitask just fine, but home décor isn’t something I’m so terribly comfortable with, that I’ll just up and bedeck everything right off.

So, one room at a time. Besides, seeing something done, even if it’s just one little thing, gives me the boost I need to keep going. I’m just weird that way.

To make this whole project a simpler one, I have cordoned my space into sections:

1) Bedroom
2) Bathroom
3) Office
4) Stairs
5) Living Room
6) Kitchen

I’m starting with the bedroom, because it’s a great place to start. I’m also starting on the bedroom because of all my rooms, it’s the most completed.

I love my bedroom, because it’s where the “loft” part of the loft comes into play. It’s tiny, as are all my rooms, made much larger by the half-wall that overlooks the steps, and my almost floor-to-ceiling windows. I don’t have to buy anymore furniture for this room, which is just fine by me, as it’s already stuffed to capacity with my bare essentials: bed, chair, candles, and hatbox.

We all need beds to sleep on, and mine is fantastic: dark espresso wood with a chocolate ultrasuede headboard. Being totally addicted to all fabulous linens, I’ve got some fantastic bedding, too: 1,000 thread count white sheets, bought on sale of course, and chocolate corduroy duvet covers & shams. I also have a white ivory quilt, made from some awesome fabric that feels like a cross between fuzzy peaches and Teflon, folded in half and on top of the duvet.

Bed, sweet bed.

Going back to my half-wall (I really do hate calling it that), and you’ll see where I’ve placed my candles. Five chocolate leather votive holders in a line, about a foot apart, which I think make a nice touch. Keep going to where the wall turns inwards, and tucked into that is my chair. It’s opposite my bed and was an awesome find: a cream, ultrasuede art deco dealie from a store moving sale that fit my taste and budget. And on that chair is a white cushion, silk screened with the handwriting of Franz Kafka. I’d tell you what it says but I don’t speak Czech. Even if I did, his penmanship was terrible.

My hatbox is next to my chair. It comes up just past my knee, making it far too big to be a hatbox for any of the hats I own, but it’s gorgeous all the same. Chocolate brown leather, and a big, metal Asian-style fastener. A turn of the century Chinese box, according to the lady at the store. Oli got it for me as part of a birthday present a few years back.

I’m not 100% happy with this space yet; the carpet is just alright, that light beige condo issue, and the plain white closet doors are up there on my “s’okay” list. Lord knows the light fixture isn’t anything special either, but for now it will have to do. Even so, of all the rooms I have, this one is the most Me. This room feels like home.

It still needs something else though, something kitschy, yet classy. My room needs Audrey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic!! I'm a big fan of good bedding. I like high thread counts or sleeping bags. nothing in between.

AndreAnna said...

Makes me with my bedroom wasn't the catchall for all the clean laundry in the house and the pile of does-that-still-fit-the-baby clothes.

We need pictures!

DirkStar said...

I have a nice collection of hat boxes myself...

Sounds like a very groovy loft.

Nice blog.

Anonymous said...

will you help me with my room?

Foofa said...

Sounds like a good base but I can see where something kitschy/classy would fit in. Maybe more artwork? Are the walls painted? Rather than redoing the whole carpet a nice area rug will do wonders.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Brandy, I so agree. I have a yen for quite awesome sheets... it's what I tend to gravitate towards first, even though I have piles to begin with! My theory is, no such thing as too many towels or sheets.

Andreanna, I shall do my best, but my digicam is on the fritz!!

Dirk, thanks for coming by, reading and commenting! I've visited your blog and it's quite psychedelic-licious. What kind of hat boxes do you have?

Anya, I would, but I've just seen pictures of my friend's redone house in Vancouver, and I'm feeling REALLY inadequate!

Natalie, the walls are indeed painted... and the art work is where Audrey comes in :) stay tuned!