Thursday, July 12, 2007

Decorator's Handbook: A Swift Kick in the Ass

My body isn’t the only thing I’m drawing the line on.

A few days ago I went to my loft, threw the door wide open and proclaimed to my half-baked space, “Let’s get ready to ruuuumble!”

After I (failingly) assured myself that my neighbours don’t think I’m a complete jackass, I shut the door and took a good, long look at my space. Concensus: Great idea. Great start. Must finish.

I officially moved into my loft last August, “officially” standing for, This Is Where My Bed Lives Now. These days I live sometimes in the loft, sometimes with the parental units, and sometimes with Sandy. It’s been a happy arrangement so far, made much easier by the fact that Joey takes me wherever I like. But, no matter where I lay my head at night these days or any day, the time is ripe. My abode screams for completion.

I’ve had this on my list of goals for over a year now and have started plenty of times, only to drop the ball for whatever reason. But now, now is different. This time, it’s going to happen.

I’m tempted to let you think I’m all naturally gung ho over the matter and I am, but one thing I haven’t told you yet is that it’s going to happen this time because it has to. As you may or may not recall, my cousin Seth is getting married this September. As part of the wedding package, he and his lovely bride have decided to invite several relatives from overseas.

As luck would have it, those overseas relatives are also related to me. I was talking to them a few days ago and they’re all really excited, these scores of cousins on my mother’s side, and over a crackling telephone connection I heard them say, “We your rooms must see!”

Translation: Can’t wait to see your place. And, we might be sleeping there, too. Bugger. It’s safe to say the fire’s been lit. Not a little one either, but a seething fury of a blaze that is intensely scorching my butt cheeks.

I have six weeks to make this all happen, which in anyone’s right mind should send them running for the hills, but my foundation is good. I wasn’t lying before when I said that everything is half done, and so I’ll just have to take it from there.

In truth I’m RELIEVED that this will all be done very soon, but then again, I’m in for one crazy summer, no?

I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place
Even your emotions have an echo
In so much space

7 comments:

Foofa said...

That sounds like such an awesome project! I love decorating spaces and I think six weeks is a great amount of time. You can't take on incredibly huge projects but you have time to get the details right.
Have a blast!

AndreAnna said...

I LOVE designing and decorating naked places. I wish I could help!

Good luck and You can doooeeeeet!

Mood Indigo said...

I'm so jealous! I don't move in to my new place for almost three months, nor have I seen it, but I bought all new bedding yesterday for the bed that I don't own yet, either. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

is it that you got stuck on the direction your design was going in or did you just peter out before? I do hope you plan on posting your before and afters!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Personally, I think designing and furnishing a place is only fun when/if you have the $. I hope you do, or else this will be a *very* interesting thrifty-shopping summer ;)

Airam said...

I always work better under pressure. I'm sure that when you're done your space will look amazing!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

I love all this design and decor stuff too... Mrs. L., most of the major pieces are bought so I won't be needing that much $$, it's more a creativity thing now.

Mood, don't buy too much until you actually see the place! It's SO tempting I know, but a mistake I made several times over.

Saucy, it petered out.

I'll be posting photos eventually, so please feel free to add input!