Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Decorator's Handbook: Project Bedroom

I love art, you all know that. I love the picturesque qualities of realism, the daring of nouveau, and the raw strokes of abstract. I especially love the brilliant, economical finds of the undiscovered artists, either the up-and-comers or the forgotten, buried in pockets all over the world, painting and sculpting solely for the sake of creation.

I think I’ll forever fancy myself a Charles Howard, searching far and wide for his Seabiscuit, the looked over, tossed aside winner that he purchased at bottom dollar.

Why then, am I hanging up a canvas from Ikea?

The whole notion goes against what I believe in. Great art, bargain art, scouring the expanses of the globe etc., versus completing my bedroom with what’s been duplicated millions of times, and sold in a Swedish franchise. Why am I doing it?

Because it’s Audrey. Who isn’t just a little bit in love with Audrey Hepburn?

I discovered Audrey in high school, the years when I had a wonderful relationship with the VCR. My social life wasn’t exactly kicking, so on the weekends when I wasn’t studying or with friends, I rented movies. On a whim one Saturday I bypassed Ghostbusters II for Sabrina, and was dazzled by the big eyed, big smiled, slip of a girl telling the man she loved, with just the slightest of accents, “I have a lovely evening dress with yaaaards of skirt. Shall I wear it?”

She was beautiful, she was elegant, she was in a class all her own. She was a star of the silver screen, the goddess of the golden age, and she’s immortalized on canvas to decorate my bedroom wall.

It’s a picture of a scene from Breakfast at Tiffany’s, a close up of Holly Golightly in the little black dress she wore to her own party, with her hair swept up. In one hand is a cigarette, her long eyelashes are lowered amusingly, and the half smile on her face make you think she’s up to something. I don’t remember if it was before or after this scene that she told Paul Varjak, “I don’t want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I’m not sure where that is, but I know what it’s like. It’s like Tiffany’s.”

It’s a great picture for a room. It’s a great picture for a girl’s room, especially if that girl has a room done up in the dark colours that one would think becomes a boy. She gives it that bit of sass, Audrey does, and will forever smile at anyone coming up my steps.

What can I say? She fits here. I’m asking Sandy to help me put her up next week. S’wonderful.

12 comments:

j. said...

hello! i came across your site a long time ago and have been reading silently since (sorry!). lately i've been thinking i should actually say hello and this post was the perfect opportunity because i LOVE that print.

i went to IKEA a few weeks ago and debated for a solid 15 minutes about whether or not to get it. unfortunately, i can't hang things on my walls (ah renting in japan...) and i haven't come up with a creative solution yet. maybe one of these days. until then, i'll live vicariously, knowing it's hanging beautifully in your bedroom. :)

Airam said...

Audrey is so sophisticated ... I've always loved that about her. I haven't really watched one of her movies (I know it's shameful) but it's something I want to do.

AndreAnna said...

I am clumsy, ungraceful, and I always say the wrong thing at the wrong time. I fall a lot and bump into things a lot. I get flushed and red-eared easily.

I wish I was as graceful and sophisticated as Audrey and you captured it so perfectly in this post. And it IS a great print!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Jaime, thanks so much for coming by and commenting, and reading as much as you have! Having comments like yours always makes my week :) Since Audrey is on a canvas and not just on thick stock paper, you don't necessarily have to hang her up, you could just as easily put her on a dresser or floor, and lean her up against the wall?

Airam, do it in this order: Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's. Though Sabrina is the least popular of the lot, it's easily my favourite.

Andreanna, I'm not one bit graceful either, but then I find the ability to laugh at myself and my un-graces is a gracefulness all its own! At least I hope so.... the purple bruise on my butt may disagree...

Foofa said...

I always cringe at the thought of mass produced art as well but this print is worth it. Good choice! My Fair Lady has always been my favorite Audrey film. You get to see her acting completely awkward and uncouth until she blossoms into the Audrey we all know and love.

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to your debate about buying mass produced art. After years of art history classes and having a professor explain how art is "a persons fingerprint they leave in history", I struggled when confronted with a great water picture at Ikea. But not too hard. It hangs in my living room. ;)

Anonymous said...

I too love Audrey. Our affair began with My Fair Lady... she oozes elegance - no idea who or why but she's wonderful!

I only write on Views... the other blog is by my friend from BC. I only guest posted there once - so you've linked to the right one. I wish I knew how to do that so I could add the blogs I liked!! (Yours OBVIOUSLY being one of them!)

AndreAnna said...

P.S. I just tagged you on my site.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Not all mass-produced "art" is meaningless or tacky. Especially prints of gorgeous cityscapes or beautiful iconic celebrities; these are treasures to be admired on walls. Sometimes I find the "unique" prints to be even tackier; the print we got for our wedding (from a local artist) features a tiny picture of male genitalia in part of the image. That was not something on our wedding wish list, and yet I am forced to hang up this rather embarrassing work. :S

Lance Morrison said...

Jaimie: I suggest putting it up on an easle. Place it in the corner on one and it would look perfect. The picture kinda looks unfinished, so it really would work well together.

Everyone: You really need to read Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. It's really short and very good. Much better than the movie. As much as I love the kitch of the film... you have to admit, it's not a very well done movie... the book is amazing. (No Hollywood ending, real storyline that had to be edited for the film industry at the time, great charachter development; Holly is only 18 etc)

Fat Girl: Sorry for not commenting. You know I'm here.

AndreAnna said...

P.P.S. I screwed up the rules on the meme the first time. I've edited it and it's all good now.

Still love the print. Love.

Anonymous said...

That picture is going to look AWESOME in your room. I already told you that when I picked it up for you ..... :)