Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Decorator's Handbook: Project Bathroom

Hateful things about my bathroom: A gold door handle, gold hinges and gold knobs on my vanity. Really, this isn’t 1989. What were the developers freebasing when that happened? I’m less than bonkers about that vanity, too. It’s wood and that’s fine, but a blond stain? Pfft.

Mediocre things about my bathroom: Blue tiles, as in Aegean sea blue. They’re okay and all, even if I had limited say in their choosing. I’d much rather prefer stone brown tiles, which would blend terrifically well with my second floor swathings of chocolates and purples, but they’ll do. Actually, they’ll have to do. Pfft again.

Bathroom love: What I’ve done to it. On the outside of my door are two small blue rectangular vintage bath signs, advertising baths and towels for 10 and five cents, respectively. They’re unique, and support that retro look I’ve dotted throughout my pad.

I also love my white waffle shower curtain, white shaggy rug, and truckloads of white fluffy towels. I love my shower rings capped off with replicas of vintage white Hot & Cold faucet taps, and corner of my vanity that’s home to my very small silver clock with its tall stand. Every bathroom needs a clock. How else are you going to know when you’re running vicious late in the morning? I love my white, blue and brown china bathroom accessories, and I love the rectangular silver tray on top of the throne that now displays my three most awesome cologness: Fig Cassis & Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone, and Tobacco Caramel by Fresh.

I love even more what will be done to my bathroom and that is, painted. As I write this, Corey is over at my place, going above and beyond the call of Brother-in-Law duty by doing some painting (among other things) for me. So here it is: I have deep blue tiles, and plenty of white things that currently, are washing my bathroom out. My solution is to paint the walls to match the floors, giving me a big, deep blue space with striking white accents.

Okay, blue wasn’t exactly what I wanted, but this is okay by me. I’ll just pretend my bathroom is a spa. Remind me to throw in some lit tealights for parties.

As for the ridiculous gold door handle & hinges, throughout my entire place in fact, they’re on my To Do list of the future. Must concentrate on the larger things at hand for my almost-here relations, see. I’ll just have to ignore that tacky stuff for now, pfft again. But at least the vanity is getting new stainless knobs, so the old ones are going, going, gone. Phew.

13 comments:

Lance Morrison said...

OH DEAR GOD! NO!
Never put cologne in the bathroom... especially a small one. The heat and humidity of the shower will make the scent turn VERY quickly... and cologne/purfume does not have that long a shelf life as it is.

Hurry! Rush into the 'spa' and rescue them now.

Lance Morrison said...

Oh... and FYI: You can stop all your bitching about my lack of commenting. Look at that... I made first comment (Actually, first two) in less than an hour of your post.
All the time, my post sits there for days... alone... sad... weepping a little.

AndreAnna said...

Oh, no! Is that true about perfume/cologne? ALL our scents are in our bathroom cabinet.

Oh, sigh.

Glad you're making progress!

Lance Morrison said...

It's true. It has something to do with the heat fluctuating between hot and steamy, then cool and dry and then back again... especially the more people that use the shower in one household.
I'll try to find an online article and post it.

Airam said...

You must post pictures of your creations!

AndreAnna said...

Oh, great!! I never buy myself ANYthing superfluous or showy, except for a small indulgence in perfumes. I have Vera Wang, Alfred Sung, and a slew of others..and buy my husband Kenneth Cole or Christian Dior.. ARGH! This stinks. I will be moving them tonight! Thanks!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Interesting choices, WLFG. I think I would have kept the tiles, and then painted most of my walls a very faint, matte yellow (with perhaps one feature blue wall).

Please show us the product of your bro-in-law's hard work, when you can. As I get older and my Hubbs and I start to think of getting our own place (own vs. rent), design ideas are beginning to interest me more and more. :)

Anonymous said...

i've always wanted one of these space savers that go over the toilet in white w/frosted glass. Is that too 70's? When we went to Bed Bath & Beyond i found the perfect one but i was vetoed by the hubby. bleh.

AndreAnna said...

Common girl: I have one that goes over the toilet but is really nice white wood. Our bathroom is so small, we really had no choice. I don't dig the glass ones, but a nice white wood with nice steel hardware can look great!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Lance.... oh, that sucks. They looked so nice there, too. Sigh. Fine, I'll go back to visiting your blog now that you've brought your lazy ass here again...

Airam, my digicam broke long ago, as did the one on my phone. I'll try to borrow one, though.

Mrs. L, I'm fine with blue tiles, just not with the colour combination of the rest of my place. Would have much preferred brown, but I'm now with the spirit of Making Do. I saw the "do your whole bathroom one dark colour then make it pop with white accents" in a Debbie Travis newspaper insert. Oli did it to her place with chocolate brown.

Common Girl, I'm always one for retro!

Emma in Canada said...

I hate the gold too, which is on most every door in my house. I'd change them, but the fella's not keen on it.

Anonymous said...

Did I leave you my tip for hideous gold door knobs? Take off the knobs and the hinges, rough them up with sandpaper, take them to a well ventilated place and spray paint those buggers with semi-mate black spray paint. Voila! Now you have some very pretty faux-rubbed bronze door knobs. Tacky no more.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Mate=Matte