Thursday, November 02, 2006

Why do I not like my job?

Lack of growth, really. I’m stuck typing, and that’s it. Snobbery, partly. I really want to be in my field.

Now, why do I love my job?

My students, naturally. They are a joy to be with. And I especially love those key moments when the universe wags its finger at me and says, “Today you were meant to be nowhere else but here.”

My only scheduled work evenings are Thursday nights, a four hour class filled to the brim with students in training to become Educational Assistants.

The people in this room are nowhere near as educated as I am, and most likely never will be. Yet I am unbelievably humbled in their presence, all of these souls who have dedicated their lives to those very special children in need of a helping hand.

If the world ran on goodness, the gas tank could be filled from the energy in this room.

Instructor Trevor is a veteran teacher with years of experience, and a caffeine addiction evident in his shaking hands. He says many things and repeats himself so constantly, the notes are full of redundancies.

Now, why am I supposed to be here tonight? For the exact same reason you are supposed to be here, reading these words that Trevor spoke not 10 minutes ago:

“Don’t let the negativity get you down. Don’t concentrate on it, just go out and celebrate every moment in life, and do everything you can do.

Look for the possibilities, not the limitations. Don’t let anything hold you back. Look at the possibility to get to that limitation, then attack it.

If anything is constant in modern society, it’s change. It’s happening. Either you start to cope with it and ride the change, or that change is going to be waving you goodbye.

You have to allow yourself to change, you have to allow yourself to cope, and you have to allow yourself to move forward.


If you are happy, the people around you will be happy.”

Indeed.

3 comments:

KuPu said...

WOW...I just LOVE this quote. Can I copy it and take it to work?? I work with children and adults who have disabilities and I'm sure my boss would love to read it and maybe read it at our staff meeting!!
I love your blog so far, I've started reading some of it!
Take Care,
Kim

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Hi always,

Thanks for coming by! New readers always welcome, come by all the time.

Sure you can use the quote(s), but it's not mine. Be sure that all credit goes to Instructor Trevor!

Anonymous said...

I went to work this morning wondering why. then I though of the children I needed to meet with today. That's why.