Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Perfect Western Hemisphere-ized Hummus

No pictures. I don't yet know how.

And before you start, please realize that when I cook or make anything in the kitchen, I operate largely by taste and not what the book tells me. You will need:

A food processor
Two giant cans chickpeas
2-3 tablespoons Tahini
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Salt
Pepper
Crushed Garlic (if you like to stink)

Use the attachment with the dual curved blades.

Open and drain the cans of chickpeas; dump in the processor. Top with your tablespoons tahini. How much exactly is up to you; I find the more tahini, the thicker the hummus. Swirl around some olive oil, I like a good 5-8 tablespoons in mine. Then lemon juice, again, mine has about 4-6 tablespoons. Salt to taste, some pepper for fun, and yay or nay on the crushed garlic is all up to you. Lid on, power away, and mix until you've reached desired consistency. Personally I like mine a bit lumpier and coarse, it's more fun to discover chickpea bits throughout than just a uniform, smooth paste. Tastes more homemade that way.

Most people eat this with grilled pita, but don't let that stop you. It can be a sandwich spread, dinner side dish, and if you feel the need to just eat it straight with a spoon, no one is watching :).

No comments: