Tuesday, November 13, 2007


University was the first time I ever got to live away from home. In the months prior to my departure, I was crazy excited and got all kinds of kitschy things to decorate my shared room with: Mickey Mouse sheets, a beer bucket, and posters. One of these posters had a diagram of a two-headed turtle on it, and underneath that, The Procastinator's Creed:

1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.

2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.

4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect from missing them.

5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesimally small, is not exactly zero.

8. If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.

9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.

10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.

11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.

12. I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/plan/plan.

13. I will never put off tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.

14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (The Procrastinator's Society) if they ever get it organized.

In the student world of party-rather-than-study, this was a hilarious creed and I got many compliments on it. I still think it's funny, and look it up every now and again for a good laugh; my original poster has long since been given away.

In reality, it's scary how sometimes what seems like a joke can all too much mimic your life. In my case, that means my writing, health goals, work... everything.

4 comments:

Airam said...

Could I ever relate to this creed!! I've missed you!

Foofa said...

I too am a perpetual procrastinator. There s nothing I can do to stop that. I go through spurts of actually doing things rather than thinking about them but these spurts are small and infrequent. I love that creed and it made me smile and feel better about myself.

Anonymous said...

#7 is the one that I relate to the most. I'm always able to put things off thinking that there is a CHANCE a freak snowstorm might hit and I won't have to go to work, or that it's a holiday that I didn't mark down on my calendar and no one is working, thus I don't have to get my work done. Or that someone else just wants to do my laundry for fun. Believing in these types of radical miracles does me more harm than good, but it is fun.

Robert Mitchell L.L. said...

Hey Stranger,
great post! Well done!