Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Day 12: Aqaba & Amman

After much, much ado in our Business Class room, the three of us made our way down to breakfast, featured on the Lido Deck. Okay, it wasn't exactly called the Lido Deck, but the surroundings of that place, down to the ruffled curtains and last wicker chair just screamed, "The Love Boat." We had our table, we dealt with the rude waiter (that kept ignoring me whenever I asked for more coffee); we had cereals, yogurt, a make your own omelette station and yet another juice bar. Your standard three-star hotel buffet.

After that, we had the morning free in Aqaba. Per Raj's request, we spent our time venturing next door to the Intercontinental, to see what luxury had been so close to us and at the same time, so very, very far away. The Intercontinental's spread was nothing like the Radisson's, and therefore, absolute heaven. Crystal blue water in the three swimming pools, tiki huts, a bar, good looking people running around and splashing by the ocean shore. Their beach was ten times as long as ours, too. If there's a next time in Jordan for us, guess where we're staying?

Abu Fadi came by to collect us, we checked out, and started the drive home... but not before going back to the liquor store with the Tequila Jesus. James hadn't forgotten those prices, and wanted to do some more souvenir shopping. He got various alcoholic delights for his friends back home, while me and Raj got some more alcoholic delights for ourselves. Raj got a lime vodka cooler for himself, and another cherry one for me, which we drank down super quick, and then took pictures of ourselves with our tongues sticking out, his green and mine red.

The drive back home was a calm one. Abu Fadi put in an Om Kolthoum disc, the "Diva of Arabic music," who also looks a lot like Rosario from "Will & Grace," sunglasses and all. Her smoky tones carried us the entire three-hour trek to Amman. James slept in the front seat, and Raj slept next to me in the back. I put my sunglasses on, leaned back and noticed the scenery on the Desert Highway, since I knew I wouldn't be seeing it again for maybe a long time. I also took the occasional picture of Raj sleeping, mouth wide open, with a bit of drool.

Abu Fadi dropped us off back at the apartment, and gave me his business card for "next time." We thanked him, we tipped him, and went back upstairs to rest a bit before digging into the rest of our day.

At this point our trip is starting to wind down, our entire stay in Jordan that is, and I can feel it. It's that stirring I get in my bones of a journey come to end, and the onset of Airport Neurosis about to take place. We're leaving tomorrow night, after all.

4 comments:

g string addict said...

finally after how many days of no entry...

suspense is definitely getting thicker

With Love, Fat Girl said...

I know, sorry kids, my life has become a hectic, baked goods place lately and will continue to be so for the next couple of weeks.

All in the upcoming entries! I do have to finish up with Jordan though...

Lance Morrison said...

I can wait to see how your trip turned out.
I wonder if you made it home safe...

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»